Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal?

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal? #1  

bg71361

Silver Member
Need to remove the drive shaft on a 4wd 1910, what is the trick. I have removed the 4 bolts attaching the collar to the front differential and the single bolt at the rear. I have clue I might have to remove the rear part (don't know official name) were the drive shaft goes in, but not sure. Help appreciated!
Bill

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal? #2  
Put the "collar" back on. The driveshaft is captive until the differential or the drop box move away from the driveshaft. As a practical matter, the easiest way for you to remove the driveshaft is to unbolt the front axle pivot trunnions from the front frame and roll the axle ahead a few inches. Plan on disconnecting the front of the drag link to make life easier. Removing the drop box is an alternative, but you will drain the hydraulic oil either before or concurrently with the removal of the drop box from the rear axle center section.

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal?
Okay, so it seems I was close. I am going to split the tractor for a clutch, so I guess the easiest way will be to reinstall the 4 bolts back on the front differential and then let it slip apart when splitting. I have all the oil out already. Does this seem like a good plan?
Bill

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal?
Thanks! RickB

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal? #6  
OK, 11 years later, LOL I need to remove the drive shaft so I can remove the oil pan and replace the sleeves. These dam books have no useful info and trying to understand RickB's post on how to do this still leaves me a little confused, mostly because I am not sure what parts he is talking about. All fluids are drained, everything is unbolted up top but I am not sure what and where I unbolt the drive shaft. I am ready to roll the front half with the engine staying attached to the bell housing, it's a perfect engine mount don't you think? How do I get the drive shaft out from being in the way?

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal? #7  
OK, 11 years later, LOL I need to remove the drive shaft so I can remove the oil pan and replace the sleeves. These dam books have no useful info and trying to understand RickB's post on how to do this still leaves me a little confused, mostly because I am not sure what parts he is talking about. All fluids are drained, everything is unbolted up top but I am not sure what and where I unbolt the drive shaft. I am ready to roll the front half with the engine staying attached to the bell housing, it's a perfect engine mount don't you think? How do I get the drive shaft out from being in the way?

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal? #8  
Not sure about a 1910 but my 1700, the driveshaft has a splined coupling on each end and o rings on the outer cover. When you roll the wheels forward the coupling will separate and driveshaft will fall out. Might leak transmission fluid when rear end of driveshaft removed.

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal? #9  
Thank you, I already drained all the fluids. Sounds like it might be hard to re align all this up while rolling the front end back into place.

/ Ford 1910 Drive Shaft Removal? #10  
Ah, finally. I ended up rolling the front end assy forward and the drive shaft fell out, at least from the front end. The rear section came out around 1 1/2 inches exposing the o ring but once the front section dropped out I am not sure if the rear came out as I rolled the front end away and went home. It was easier than expected but when you are not sure and things are not moving I am afraid to pry on things. nothing like experience. Now to find new o rings for the driveshaft cover tube, any ideas? Today I make my own sleeve remover tool, oh I can't wait, let the fun begin.
BTW, does anyone know what other tie rod end for the drag link will work as a replacement since the replacement doesn't exist? Yes, I can measure mine but how do I measure all the possible doner tie rod ends that are available. Just hoping someone already did this daunting task.