tc45d four wheel drive not working

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working #1  

meanstreak

Silver Member
Tractor
tc 45d
I have a tc45d with supersteer,i was in full time 4 wheel drive while scooping out the ditches from the last snow storm . I heard a bang and no more 4 wheel drive. My question is where do i start looking to fix the problem? The drive shaft appears to be intact. also i have chains on the front tires because there is not enough clearence on the rear, would that have contributed to the problem
thanks
Blake

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working #2  
Yes the front chains could have caused the problem. Raise one tire off the ground. Engage the FWD.Try to turn the front tire.It shouldn't turn. Do the same on the other front tire. If you can turn both front tires, drain the oil from the center section of the front axle and look for chunks of metal. If you can only turn one tire drain the oil on that housing and look for chunks. Any way you look at it it is not going to be a cheap or easy repair.
Bill

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working #3  
Blake, this problem seems to be becoming more common on Class III Boomers. Here is a link to thread and some very good info. Please scroll down to the posts in this thread by RickB. He is an extremely knowledgeable NH Service Technician and knows this problem intimately. Unfortunately, having chains on the front wheels probably significantly contributed to the problem as you surmised in your original post.

4WD Problem

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working
thank you for your quick reply i will let everyone know how i made out
kind regards
Blake

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working
well i got my machine back, to make a long story short the dealer said loose the chains on the front . why didnt he tell me that when i purchased them. final cost 799.93 not to mention the cost of the chains that im now stuck with. thanks for eveyones advice.
maybe studs is the answer.

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working #7  
What did the dealer say went wrong with your front end? If he rebuilt the front diff for $800. That's a bargain. I would think the gears alone cost that much. Sorry to read about your troubles.....

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working #8  
Glad you got your tractor back and working. I agree with IH3444 in that your cost could have been a lot more. It's a shame you were allowed to make the front tire chain mistake without being cautioned by the dealer.:( Perhaps your experience will change that in the future and they will warn other buyers before they make the same mistake. One would hope. . . .

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working #9  
so it's not ok to run chains on the front?

is it ok to run chains on the rear? what about with no chains on the front and in 4x4?

/ tc45d four wheel drive not working #10  
so it's not ok to run chains on the front?

is it ok to run chains on the rear? what about with no chains on the front and in 4x4?

Chains on the rear are fine. Chains on the front are a big no-no!!!

Andy