2001 tc45 hst question

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #1  

jmyers9668

hello, I've been researching a problem with my tractor and came across your web site. This is a great resource. I have a 2001 tc45d with 670 hours on it and the hst went out. I took it in to my dealer and they tell me that it can't be repaired, it has to have a whole new hydro installed to the tune of $9,000.00 !! I read in the archives that there was a recall on 2001 tc45 hydros because of catastrophic failure. does anyone have any info on this? possible know what serial numbers were involved etc.? any help you could offer would be appreciated. thanks John

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #2  
I remember reading over 4 years ago about a fellow whom had a total failure of his NH hydro, TC40 I believe. The cause was traced to a bronze sleeve bore failure on the hydro pump. If my memory serves me I think it was estimating costing him $5K for repair. He stopped posting, so I never read if he went ahead and got it fixed. That's one of the reason I decided to go with the TC48DA 12/12SS trans. I've never read yet about a transmission gear drive failure with a NH, Deere, Massey, Kioti, Kubota....but I'm sure they exist also. Have read about many issues with chinese tractor gear drives, too numerous to list. Just read those forums. Sorry to read about your troubles, 760 hours is basicly brand new. I haven't read about any series of failures, just yours, and the other fellow. :eek:

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #3  
I read in the archives that there was a recall on 2001 tc45 hydros because of catastrophic failure. does anyone have any info on this? possible know what serial numbers were involved etc.? any help you could offer would be appreciated. thanks John

John, the only transmission recall I am aware of is the one where a large number of tractors were recalled due to the possibility of the transmission jumping out of gear going downhill. I know of no catastrophic failure recall.

I hope you will keep us posted as to the outcome of your repair. I think we'd all like to know the nature and extent of your transmission failure. I have a TC45D I bought in February of 2001. Its transmission seems strong and robust. I've worked it hard for almost 1500 hours.

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #4  
does "can't be fixed" = "we don't want to fool with it...."

i could be wrong but most things can be fixed......

try another dealer and/or wait for someone here to reply......

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #5  
does "can't be fixed" = "we don't want to fool with it...."

i could be wrong but most things can be fixed......

You hit the nail on the head there, FLAT.

Most tractor dealers are not going to open up an engine or transmission to
fix it. Most likely they will buy and replace the engine or tranny as a unit.

When I bought my B21, I fully expected to have to repair the HST and
gearboxes. As it turned out, with respect to the HST, all internal parts
could be purchased from Kubota for tons less than the whole HST as a unit.
The main pump was $500 or so and the HST motor was about the same. In
all, I paid something like $3000 for parts.....I can certainly imagine that
if a commercial shop did this rebuild, it would have been $10K.

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #6  

I think you are onto something, Dave. I just checked Messicks and the entire transmission assembly is a little over $7,400. There is a rebuild kit for the pump for around $1,500 and the motor rebuild kit is $850.

The price John quoted sounds like a dealer who just wants to split the tractor and replace the entire transmission. If you had to lay out $3000 for repair parts, that repair would still be a lot cheaper than the price John was quoted. I'd sure be looking for a second opinion from another dealer.

Good call, Dave.

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #7  
yeah, they don't want to admit they don't have a qualified guy to do it or that when they complete the job it may fail........i'd rather people just tell me that up front instead of trying to put the burden back on to me

this is why i fix things myself.....and have no time:rolleyes:

When I bought my B21, I fully expected to have to repair the HST and
gearboxes. As it turned out, with respect to the HST, all internal parts
could be purchased from Kubota for tons less than the whole HST as a unit.
The main pump was $500 or so and the HST motor was about the same. In
all, I paid something like $3000 for parts.....I can certainly imagine that
if a commercial shop did this rebuild, it would have been $10K.

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #8  
The price John quoted sounds like a dealer who just wants to split the tractor and replace the entire transmission.

Exactly.

The scenario I found out about my tractor is typical:
> owner brings tractor to dealer. "its broken", he says
> dealer takes tractor apart and quotes owner "$10,000" (or similar)
> owner says "oh, crup" (or similar)
> dealer says, "I'll make you a hulluva deal on a new B26. I'll give you a
couple of thousand trade in on your old machine." (or similar)
> Owner buys new tractor. Trades in old. Dealer slaps old tractor back
together and ships it off to the auction company.

John: Don't do it!

/ 2001 tc45 hst question #9  
We've worked on hundreds of TC40's and 45's and I don't recall that we've ever replaced or even rebuilt a hydrostatic transmission on one. However, we've replaced many "transmission pivot supports" which is the rod that attaches to the pedals and strokes the hydrostatic pump. This may not be your problem and if the transmission has seen contamination you'll certainly need to rebuild it. I agree with Jinman...if you like turning wrenches, then rebuilding the pump and motor is your best bet.
Partspring original New Holland parts.

/ 2001 tc45 hst question
Thanks guys for your input it is much appreciated. so heres the story. I called new holland customer care and explained the whole story to them they intern called their tech support people and then called me back. customer care was told by tech support that their was in fact parts that could be purchased to rebuild the hydro. customer service called my dealer and informed them of this. the dealer told them that they had already looked into this and the parts that are available are not the parts i need. the parts that i need are in fact not available. so i am at a loss as to what direction to go next i suppose that i will contact another dealer and ask their opinion. the service manager at my dealer says in his opinion this is just a fluke deal and the reason it took so long to show up is because i don't put a lot of hours on the tractor. so far my dealer has agreed to take 10% off of parts but i haven't gotten anywhere with new holland yet. thanks again for your comments i'll keep you informed. John