Oil & Fuel Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA

• Thread starter Deleted member 66551
  • Start date
   / Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA #1  
D

Deleted member 66551

okay. this is my final question on this topic.
what trans oil, differential oil, and hydraulic oil should i use in my NAA?
i've read a lot of articles on the net, and in this forum, and YT forums regarding what oil to use for "old Fords". all along, i was reading things that probably were more in reference to 8N's or older. but i have an NAA, which has separate systems for trans / diff / and hyrdaulics.

anyway....is the type of oil for an NAA a no-brainer? i.e. is the answer clearly to get the fluid that conforms to M2C134D specs? or is there still some consideration for using a straight 80wt or 90wt mineralized oil? i just bought 5 gallons of the TSC's Traveller brand 90wt oil for Ford....not cheap at 80 bucks. but i can take it back if need be.

also, i notice that all these UTF's, universal tractor fluids, don't say exactly "meets" or "conforms to" M2C134D specs. instead, they say "recommended" for M2C134D, along w/ a bazillion other types of fluids for different tractors. so if i need a fluid that conforms to M2C134D, where in the world do i get it?

again, many thanks in advance.

/ Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA #2  
Yes.. this is a no brainer question.

your owners manual tells you exactly what oil you need in the lube section.. just follow the crossed oils.

take that 80$ oil back.. it's incorrect for your application.. it lists for dord trannies from 39-52 on it.. your machine is a 53/54 year model.

you got these options:

Tranny and diffy can take a UTF fluid or a gear oil

Hyds can take AW32 hyd fluid or UTF fluid.

Walmart and TSC oils are made by warren.. thus walmart is 10$ cheaper per pail.

I run walmart gear oil and UTF fluid in all my tractors.. up thru my NH 7610s.

I have a NAA and a few hundred series tractors that are similar tot he NAA in sump and hyd design.

soundguy

/ Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA
when you say "gear oil", what exactly are you referring to? what type gear oil?

again. you all have been a huge help. thanks.

and...what is the difference between the UTF sold at WalMart, NAPA, TSC, etc and the Ford/NH fluid that conforms to M2C134D fluid????

/ Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA #5  
when you say "gear oil", what exactly are you referring to? what type gear oil?

again. you all have been a huge help. thanks.

gear oil... IE.. 80w90 gl-5 .. cheap at walmart...

soundguy

/ Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA #6  
and...what is the difference between the UTF sold at WalMart, NAPA, TSC, etc and the Ford/NH fluid that conforms to M2C134D fluid????

The difference between the UTF sold at walmart ( about 25$/5g ) and TSC is about 15$.. both appear to be made by warren.. both also list the M2C134 spec... and a bunch of others I didn't read.

I havn't used Napa's 27-200 UTF fluid.. but again.. I did check.. and it meets the ford M2C134 spec as well.. didn't check the price.

And NH's 134 oil is the most expensive of the lot. Keep in mind that NH has changed who makes their oil over the years.. so it's not like one manufacture has been doing it since creation.. etc.

The difference? Probably minute addative and viscosity differences over the range of manufacturers.. perhaps less overall adds on the cheaper oil... however.. the more expensive oil is in some cases 2.5x as much $.

If you have to change your hydro oil every 300-600 hrs or yearly.. and you put 50 - 100 hrs a year on.. and the NH oil is 60$ for 5g, and lasts the 600 hrs due to addatives.. and the wallmart 5g oil is 27$ and lasts 300 hours.. you do the math... you are changing the oil before it is used up either way... even looking at the cheaper oil.. thus you are paying for 'brand name' more or less..

soundguy

so if gear oil is "okay" to use in the trans or diff....then i assume there is no so-called "yellow metal" in the NAA. some have written about this metal being damaged by GL-5 oils?

/ Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA #8  

And NH's 134 oil is the most expensive of the lot. Keep in mind that NH has changed who makes their oil over the years.. so it's not like one manufacture has been doing it since creation.. etc.

soundguy

The biggest change came post merger. The NH oil was dropped, and all CaseIH products were kept. The NH was equally good, and priced lower than the CIH equivalent, but the Case gang wanted their products kept.

Someone I know used to work at a Ford/NH dealership, both pre & post merger, and saw quite a few changes made that would make one shake their heads wondering why.

/ Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA #9  

The biggest change came post merger. The NH oil was dropped, and all CaseIH products were kept. The NH was equally good, and priced lower than the CIH equivalent, but the Case gang wanted their products kept.

Someone I know used to work at a Ford/NH dealership, both pre & post merger, and saw quite a few changes made that would make one shake their heads wondering why.

NH and Case IH oils are branded separately in the US, I can't speak for Canada. Hytran and 134D are distinctly different oils.
One major shortcoming of the NH BUYOUT of Case has been Fiat's unwillingness to dedicate the funds and manpower to integrate the parts networks sufficiently to eliminate stocking multiple part numbers of identical parts, both within and across brands. They simply haven't spent enough to achieve the efficiency the buyout had the opportunity to deliver.

/ Transmission / Differential / Hydraulic Oil for NAA #10  
NH and Case IH oils are branded separately in the US. Hytran and 134D are distinctly different oils.

They went with the CIH supplier, and dropped the NH suppliers post merger. NH was priced lower than CIH.