Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!!

/ Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!! #1  

Rick1397

Tractor
Tc 40
Hello all,

I have been reading these forums for along time and have gained alot of valuable information and tips from u guys!!!! But I really am over my head with the problems that I have been having lately with my tractor and really could use some help......so here goes....

I bought a 2001 NH TC 40 D used and for the most part the tractor has performed very well...one day I was using it and turned the ignition off. shortly after that I attempted to start it again, it turned over however would not start...kind of sounded like it wasnt getting fuel....I checked the usual thing seat, pto and Neutral switches without much luck.....I hooked a jumper from the battery to the fuel solenoid and it would click and the tractor started right up...when I unhooked it it would stop.... I didnt get a manual with this tractor and dont know where to start...I need to know what controls the fuel solenoid and how to fix this so that it works without this jumper...I have no idea how to isolate the problem to what needs to be changed or even where to start looking...so I would greatly appreciate any and all ideas and proceedures that you can give me to hopefully help this problem.....

#2 Lately I have noticed that the glow plug indicator light has been coming off and on at times not associated with start up and some times it doesnt come on when I turn the key to the first click prior to attempting a start.. from what I have learned here it would usually indicate a problem with the glow plug timer....so I replaced it and it doent work at all...not sure where to go from here but would really like to fix it ( cold weather starts are almost impossible now)...so again I would like to ask for help with what else could be wrong, and how to isolate it and fix it....I appreciate all of your help and I glad to have a place where I can benefit from all of your experiences....

Thank again

Rick

/ Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!! #2  
I have never had the problem, but I think a seat switch failure will give you the fuel delivery symptoms you describe. You may want to jumper it to check if this is the problem.

The seat safety switch is designed to shut the tractor off if you get up.

Others will give better advice. There are other threads talking about the problems you describe in the NH operating forum.

It is likely you didn't get the glow plug relay seated properly. You may want to clean the contacts. You may want to put the old one back in to see if it still performs as it did before you made the change.

Chris

/ Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!! #4  
Rick, read through the thread linked by Chris (dynasim) and then tell us if you found your problem with the fuel solenoid. I can tell you that your seat switch is very easy to jumper around. Just disconnect the connector under the seat switch and put a wire jumper between the pins in the connector. Mine has been jumpered since the first week I owned my tractor. Your TC40D and my TC45D should be electrically identical.

I'm not sure about the glow plug timer. I think it's good advice to check the plug for problems. Many people have had mice make nests in that area and damaged wires. Also, our ignition switches are prone to failure. I just think that since you replaced the timer and the glowplugs stopped, there might be a problem with the plug or the wiring behind it. Taking the cowling off is a pain, but you'll have to troubleshoot this with the cowling off anyway. There's no way around that.

Try those things and get back to us with your results.

BTW: Since your tractor trys to crank, I don't think fuse #2 is the problem. If you turn on the ignition and the PTO light comes on with the PTO lever at OFF, then fuse #2 is blown. Also, anytime you set the parking brake, make sure the parking brake light is illuminated on the dash. Otherwise, you might have a faulty switch. Remember, you have to lift the parking brake handle to get the light to come ON. Pressing the brake pedals is not enough.

/ Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!! #5  
By the way, I just noticed that you have not had your TBN welcome.

Welcome, and glad your here.

Chris

/ Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!!
Thank you Dynasim.....I really like it here....you guys know your S**t !!! it's always interesting to get other point of views and the right ways to do stuff.

This problem has really made things harder for me...not really sure where to start. I have tried most of the things that I read here and nothing works....I guess that I need to find out what part (relay, fuses ect) control the fuel solenoid and the glow plugs are another problems altogether. could the ignition switch control the glow plugs and the fuel solenoid????!!! really not sure.... I guess I will have to break down and send it back to the dealer.

Thanks
Rick

/ Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!! #7  
Rick, if you don't have a schematic or you are not comfortable using a VOM to troubleshoot this problem, then I'll agree with you that you should take this to the dealer. Yes, your problem could be related to the ignition switch. It could also be the operator safety system, the glow plug timer, the glow plug relay, maybe the parking brake switch and even wiring damage. All of those things need careful pin-to-pin troubleshooting with a VOM to locate the problem. Easter-egging is expensive and frustrating. This is not a major problem and your repair cost at the dealer will probably have a minimum labor charge. Transporting the tractor will be the biggest hassle in my estimation.

/ Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!!
Jinman,

I do not have a schematic of the electrical system however if I could get one I believe that I could narrow down the problem.... I just need some information related to where to start looking... I have replaced the glow plug timer and believe that I have eliminated the safety switches ( starts and runs when warm outside). What I need is to identify what controls the fuel solenoid (fuses,relays ect) and what controls the glow plug system (fuses,relays ect). maybe it could be the ignition because thats the only thing that I can think of that would control both...not sure...however would like to hear what your thoughts are...thanks again

Rick

/ Tc 40 glow plug problem....please Help !!! #10  
Jinman,

I do not have a schematic of the electrical system however if I could get one I believe that I could narrow down the problem.... I just need some information related to where to start looking... I have replaced the glow plug timer and believe that I have eliminated the safety switches ( starts and runs when warm outside). What I need is to identify what controls the fuel solenoid (fuses,relays ect) and what controls the glow plug system (fuses,relays ect). maybe it could be the ignition because thats the only thing that I can think of that would control both...not sure...however would like to hear what your thoughts are...thanks again

Rick

Rick, there are a lot of things to check and I may be able to scan a schematic for you, but I can't do it right now. I'll try to get it posted this afternoon.