Ballast Rear wheel weights

/ Rear wheel weights #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
I'm thinking of going with a double set of rear wheel weights on the TC 55. Anyone have them and did they make a big difference ? I still want to be able to use the 3 point and mount the backhoe without filling the tires with fluid.

/ Rear wheel weights #2  
I have never used wheel weights, but isn't it a big job to put on and remove them? I'm thinking if I used them when it came time to switch to the hoe I probably would not want to go to all the effort to remove them. Just my opinion. I do like the way wheel weights look on some tractors.
JJ

/ Rear wheel weights #3  
I've had a double set on my DX55 since I got it 2 years ago. I didn't want to use filled tires if I could get away with just the weights, so opted for the double set of wheel weights. Also, I thought I could add the fluid at any time if needed, but I don't think I ever will. IIRC, the weights give me slightly more than half the weight of the filled tires, for about the same cost.
I use my tractor for a little bit of everything, except no backhoe. Plowing, disking, rotary cutting, FEL work, grading driveway, hauling wood, plowing snow with FEL blade, etc. I do add a ballast to the rear when doing heavier FEL work and plowing snow. Overall I am very pleased with the wheel weights and would definitely opt for them again if doing it over.

/ Rear wheel weights
Checked today. 105# weight for $112.00. I spoke with a guy that bought a larger NH last fall. He got his weights for 50% off list price. Knowing how dealers operate they probably added the rest of it in on the tractor.
Wonder if anyone covered the steel with some type of cushion, added bolts and poured concrete weights while the tire layed on the ground.

/ Rear wheel weights #5  
Wonder if anyone covered the steel with some type of cushion, added bolts and poured concrete weights while the tire layed on the ground.

I read a thread on the Bolens tractor forum of another board where a guy did something similar to what you asked.

He found that a 5 gallon pail was the right OD of what he needed so he used that for a form. I believe that he used PCV pipes in strategic areas as pass throughs so that he could get to the wheel bolts. I believe that his were made to set on the outside edge of the rim, and not go inside like most normal weights do.

I would think that if you laid the wheel on the ground, lined the inside of the rim with heavy plastic, and made sure you had tubes set up for any access points that you would need that you could pour in concrete. Just make sure that you integrate in some sort of lifting hook so that you could pull it apart. I would practice on a scrap tire/rim first (maybe one from a car).

/ Rear wheel weights #6  
I didnt like the idea of loading the tires with fluid but it was the best price for the weight added. On my tc40 i used tubes and the cal mix . On the tc55 i used the the new fluid they offered for $300.00 including service run . If i could have used wheel weights to get the 1800lb i would have went that way. The tractor is stable with a full bucket of dirt no extra balast needed. We have had good luck with the tubes and we only replaced two wheels in 30 years .

/ Rear wheel weights #7  
I bought my TC55DA new in Oct 05 and had the fluid and the max wheel weights added before I ever took it home. I do some mighty heavy stuff with it and don't regret it at all.