Ford 1100 Tie Rods

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods #1  

jrccih

Tractor
Shibaura SL 1703
Hi all, I am brand new here. I have a Ford 1100 4wd, and I have purchased boots for the steering tie rod ends, as the old ones had deterioted. Can anyone help me understand how the cap comes off of the ball fitting? I have taken the castle nut and cotter pin off already, but I don't want to damage the joint. Thanks!

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods #2  
Just took my front tie rod TC-35 off to straighten after running over a stump. We lightly hit the joint with a maul and rocked the steering wheel. The ball joint came out. Doesn't take much side pressure to hold it in place.

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods
You mean that you hit it from the side? Right now, I'll try anything (almost), but I want to pop it out right without damaging it.

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods #4  
Put the nut back on the threads, but just flush with the end, not tight against the steering arm. This prevents flying parts and damage. Hit the side of the steering arm. Don't tap it, HIT it. You can back up the opposite side of the steering arm with another hammer to help.

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods
Thank you everyone for your suggestions...sounds like I really need to whack at it hard, as Rick recommended. Someone had suggested to me also that I try using a pickle fork. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes after I work on it some more.
Joe

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods #6  
I'm interested in this too. I need new rubber for my 1210.

Can you use a small puller to push them apart?

The pickle fork sounds like it would separate them.

Please post when you have success.

Thanks,

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods #7  
A pickle fork sounds like we are going to eat something. ;) I use a tie rod removal tool. Otherwise known around here as a tie rod knocker. It is a tapered fork that slides under the tie rod end and a hammer to drive it in and separate the joint. Also used on car ball joints and come in a couple of sizes.

Russell

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods #8  
Thank you everyone for your suggestions...sounds like I really need to whack at it hard, as Rick recommended. Someone had suggested to me also that I try using a pickle fork. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes after I work on it some more.
Joe

If you are not comfy to give it a good solid whack then pitman arm remover is the tool you must have. I have one and all the ball joint removing on my vehicle I use it. They are cheap and under $15-$25. I bought mine from Parts America for $12.The joint comes apart surprisingly easy. Look at the link below for info.

JC,

P.S. Russel, I have used the taper tool as well, but seems to me it really can score the ball and that's not a good thing, specially if you get a rusty joint.

OTC DIVISION OF SPX CORP 6296 Tie Rod Remover / Pitman Arm puller

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods #9  
Hitting it is the fastest and easiest way to get it apart, providing you are hitting it in the right spot. Certainly do not hit the threaded end, or any part of the tie rod itself. Only hit the area right where the treaded part of the tie rod goes through the spindle, or what ever part it is connected to. The tie rod ends are tapered, and hitting the spindle in the ares where the tapered rod goes through, makes it pop out easily. 20 plus years doing mechanic work, I rarely used a "fork" tool. Good luck! TB

/ Ford 1100 Tie Rods
Texas Blues, I am going to try to take a picture of my tractor tie rod and post it here. I actually bought a "fork", but it was too large. My little 1100 has a small tie rod. I am not sure I follow where you are referring in hitting it - sorry to be so dense - comes from 20 plus years of NOT doing mechanic work, hahaha...except minor things...I'll post the pic tonight or tomorrow.
Joe