Broken Bolt

/ Broken Bolt #1  

wayne1083

Tractor
NH TC33D
I have a broken bolt that is located on the lower portion of the mid mount tube. I have a loader and mid mount mower on this TC33D. The bolt appears to be sheared off even with the tractor. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to extract it? Is it best that I take this to a dealer. I obviously have to drop the mower and loader. The bolt is marked 8.8. Thanks for any help.

/ Broken Bolt #2  
I have a broken bolt that is located on the lower portion of the mid mount tube. I have a loader and mid mount mower on this TC33D. The bolt appears to be sheared off even with the tractor. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to extract it? Is it best that I take this to a dealer. I obviously have to drop the mower and loader. The bolt is marked 8.8. Thanks for any help.

They do make screw extractors the you drill a hole in the broken bolt and screw in the extractor (it has a left hand threat) or some you pound in as they are square. I've had marginal success with both. Heating up the area that the bolt is broken off in will definitely help if you try this.

Once when that failed I found that the back side of the bolt was accessible. I drilled and tapped the broken bolt, threaded in a grade 8 bolt, heated up the bracket that it was broke off in and twisted the bolt inward. Once it cleared I cut the head off of the bolt that I screwed in and threw the whole mess away.

Whichever method that you use, I would apply heat to the area holding the bolt. Unless it broke off in pure shear there is a reason that it is stuck. Heat will expand the are that is holding it in and make a BOG difference in getting the broken part out.

/ Broken Bolt #3  
Start with a left handed drill bit. As you drill; torque normally spins out the bolt. Use plenty of pentatrating oil.
Start with a small left hand drill; drill through if possible or as deep as you can go; then switch to a larger left hand bit .

/ Broken Bolt #4  
Lefty drill bits.. center punch the bolt and drill out left... if you are lucky.. the bit will pull the bolt out. start small and upsize till you get close to parent metal... then try the fluted extractor... if that don't work.. try one more size up and stay out of the threads.. then use the punch to crush the bolt in on itself.

other ways, are to lay a hex nut over the hole and use an arc welder to weld the stump to the nut.. however.. if this is out of position.. or the stump is recessed.. nix that idea and dril it out..

soundguy

/ Broken Bolt #5  
you can also try drilling a small hole off center of bolt about 1/4 deep then get small chisle or pin punch then hit it with hammer somtimes it loosens it .

/ Broken Bolt #6  
All good points so far.

Lefty drill, close to the od of the bolt is a good start. Usually that will work as it releases the tension of the bolt on the threads. Then try an easy out.

If the bolt head was just sheared off, but not seized, you shouldnt have too much trouble.

If the bolt is rusted in, welding a nut is a good trick, the heat helps to break it free.

Chipping the remaining bolt with a chisel works too, just be careful of the threads.

/ Broken Bolt #7  
Wayne,

I had the very same issue with my TC24DA. I have quite a long story about this issue that I think resulted in a rear main and tranmission seal failure that cuased me to have to split my tractor.

I realize that we have different tractors but, I think the design is closed to the same.

I don't have much time tonight to explain what I did however, if you want more info as to what I did, I check the forum frequently.