Mowing Mowing ditch

/ Mowing ditch #1  

SCOTTO

Tractor
NEW HOLLAND TC33D
I will be getting a TC33D soon and was wondering what is the safest way to mow a ditch ( the kind that runs along the road with culverts under driveways for water drainage). What is the maximum angle this machine can run on without tipping. My ditch probably has a slope of about 25-30 degrees. Is there a rule of thumb??? My tractor has a 60" rear mount rotary cutter.

/ Mowing ditch #2  
I don't think the 25º to 30º is all that much if your center-of-gravity is kept low, but you MUST make sure there are no rocks or bumps. Those are the little "boosts" that get things started. It's always best if you can cross a ditch or gully perpendicular to the slope. It's really too bad that tractor dealers don't have a measured slope so you could test your "pucker" angle before buying the tractor, /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif but except as a marketing gimmick, I've never seen anything like this./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Mowing ditch #3  
How much of an angle you can safely drive on was discussed in the thread "Safely Mowing Hills" in the Safety forum. Basically, 30 degrees is pushing your luck, I wouldn't try it! I have the same problem you do. I have a 6 foot mower and if I swing the lower 3pt hitch arms all the way over one way to offset it so I have some overhang, I can get most of the ditch, but still can't get it all. I finally bought a sickle bar mower to do the ditch. It has a 7 foot cutter bar so I can stay on flat ground and mow the ditch. Sure beats doing it with a weed trimmer!

/ Mowing ditch #5  
When mowing ditch banks and the edges of ponds I have pretty good luck backing the mower out over the bank and lowering it. This method is pretty slow but it works. -Don't do anything that you are not comfortable with. -Don't make any sudden moves when on the slope. -If things start to get dicey STOP and lower everything to the ground as quickly as you can to help stabilize the machine. When you are stopped and stable then you can safely figure your way out of the situation.

/ Mowing ditch #6  
Mosey, I just aquired a IH 1300 sickle mower to mow some terraces. Tried it last night can't explain how great it is. For steep banks I was told you need a belt drive. Will save many hours of weed eater. I am supprised as to how smooth the cut is.

Any one know when these mowers were made? Found and ordered a parts manuel, any idea if an owners manuel can be found

Best Neil