Ford 861 clutch

/ Ford 861 clutch #11  
It definately has a 5 speed. My cousin from whom I bought it, was told it was an 861. But he kinda thought the 8 was the series and the 61 was the year. That's when I went in to search mode.

8 is engine size ( 172 ci gas or diesel ( lp? )

6 = 5spd trans with live pto

1 = year range.. 58-62

look on t he bellhousing aft of the starter.. the sn is stamped with the model Id.. etc.

soudnguy

/ Ford 861 clutch
8 is engine size ( 172 ci gas or diesel ( lp? )

6 = 5spd trans with live pto

1 = year range.. 58-62

look on t he bellhousing aft of the starter.. the sn is stamped with the model Id.. etc.

soudnguy

That I believe is where identifying old ford tractors said to look but with the years of rust and dirt, it hasn't been possible yet. Thank you though.

/ Ford 861 clutch
Talking with the New Holland dealership within 12 miles of me price for a reman is $450.00, brand new $1500.00, labor $800.00 to $1000.00 plus possible cost to resurface flywheel. Close to the price of $1600.00 material and labor my cousin was quoted from another New Holland dealership about 35 miles from me. Being in a hurry (doesn't pay) I forgot to ask about warranty, material and labor. Of course when I mentioned that I heard reman might not be the way to go, the dealership said they hadn't any problems with this manufacturer.

/ Ford 861 clutch #14  
There's nothing wrong with a reman clutch from a reputable supplier. Once again, the flywheel WILL NOT need resurfacing because it is not a friction surface for the clutch.

/ Ford 861 clutch
There's nothing wrong with a reman clutch from a reputable supplier. Once again, the flywheel WILL NOT need resurfacing because it is not a friction surface for the clutch.

Thanks, If I have someone else install it, I'll be sure to tell them not to do the flywheel.

/ Ford 861 clutch #16  
Thanks, If I have someone else install it, I'll be sure to tell them not to do the flywheel.

I just find it quite odd that someone at a NH dealership, presumably the service manager, is mentioning the possible expense of turning the flywheel of an 861 as part of a clutch job because it is completely unnecessary. Unless it is just an oversight; after all, most any dry clutch repalcement quote other than one on a double clutch Ford from 55-64 should mention the possibility.

/ Ford 861 clutch
I just find it quite odd that someone at a NH dealership, presumably the service manager, is mentioning the possible expense of turning the flywheel of an 861 as part of a clutch job because it is completely unnecessary. Unless it is just an oversight; after all, most any dry clutch repalcement quote other than one on a double clutch Ford from 55-64 should mention the possibility.

When I spoke in person to the service manager, I asked him how much would it be to change a double clutch on a ford 861 diesel. I also wondered how long they would have the tractor. He told me between $800.00 and $1000.00 depending on how things went. More if the flywheel needed to be turned. He told me to figure a week to have the tractor because a day to take it apart to count the studs (??? I think it's what he mentioned) to get the right double clutch, two to three days to get the part ordered and in, and a day to put it back together. He didn't use a reference book like I've seen autoshops due to give a quote. So who knows???

/ Ford 861 clutch #18  
count splines maybee?

soundguy

/ Ford 861 clutch #19  
Talking with the New Holland dealership within 12 miles of me price for a reman is $450.00, brand new $1500.00, labor $800.00 to $1000.00 plus possible cost to resurface flywheel. Close to the price of $1600.00 material and labor my cousin was quoted from another New Holland dealership about 35 miles from me. Being in a hurry (doesn't pay) I forgot to ask about warranty, material and labor. Of course when I mentioned that I heard reman might not be the way to go, the dealership said they hadn't any problems with this manufacturer.

The price of that clutch pack is about right. Last year I was looking at a Ford 961 (the high clearance row crop version of the 861) that needed a new clutch. I found a reman unit on the web for about $550. Labor seems a tad high. I would have expected $600-700.

/ Ford 861 clutch #20  
Hey. I found some old pictures of when I replaced my clutch in my Ford641 about 10 years ago. I did it with very few tools. The most difficult thing is ensuring that the clutch settings are proper such that you will not get chatter. For this you need a jig and then some lock tite. You can't adjust it once you put the tractor back together. It took me one weekend but I did other work that weekend. Also, don't over torque the clutch bolts - I broke one off and had to drill and retap it. Good luck. Here are a couple of photos but the quality is poor. It is pictures of pictures - ****.

Attachments

• ford641.jpg
    ford641.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 568
  • ford641b.jpg
    ford641b.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 297
  • ford641c.jpg
    ford641c.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 460