Ford 861 clutch

/ Ford 861 clutch #21  
I realize that you can't see anything but I thought just for inspiration I would share the pics. The photo of the tractor is about 3 weeks later- complete and looking good. If I can do it you can do it.

/ Ford 861 clutch
The price of that clutch pack is about right. Last year I was looking at a Ford 961 (the high clearance row crop version of the 861) that needed a new clutch. I found a reman unit on the web for about $550. Labor seems a tad high. I would have expected $600-700.

The only reason I was going to have the dealership install was if they offered a warranty on their labor. That would give me a little piece of mine plus more time to do other things. My uncle did say he would help if I do go at it myself.

/ Ford 861 clutch
I realize that you can't see anything but I thought just for inspiration I would share the pics. The photo of the tractor is about 3 weeks later- complete and looking good. If I can do it you can do it.

Thanks for the inspiration. I am one that can do what he sets out to do. Of course along the way I do have a tendency to break other stuff while I'm fixing something else. But I guess that just makes more parts new so it will last longer, correct. At least I look at it that way. The wife askes how much more is it going to cost. Oh dear!!!!

/ Ford 861 clutch
Ordered the reman clutch today. Plus pilot and throw out bearings, $520.and some change. Should be in by middle of next week. Now just need to find/make time to get it installed. The dealership told me the clutch is already assembled so I shouldn't have to worry about the clutch springs chattering, should I? Also, I asked about an alignment tool. He said they don't come with one plus he didn't think they sell one, currently. Now with my pickup the new clutch came with an alignment tool. Trucks and tractors are different, so do I need an alignment tool since the clutch is already assembled and it doesn't use the flywheel as a friction surface? Just unbolt, remove, bolt new back in? Or do I need to maybe rent one from somewhere? Seems to me you still want everything to line up for when sliding the tractor back together. Thanks for the replies.

/ Ford 861 clutch
Sorry, no pics, but got the tractor apart today in about 3 hours. Figured I would order some extra parts since I have it apart already, replace several seals to calm down the leaks, both hydralic and oil. Once those are available then the fun job of putting it all back together. There was one thing though, when I separated the tractor I found a loose spring, a washer, and the top seat for the springin the housing. I also found what looks like a washer of sorts with a notch out of it at the top with a flat spot in the center at the bottom. The washer was broke up at the top. Any ideas where this goes and what it is used for? I haven't been able to find any pictures of it yet nor any mention of it in the book I have. I have the I & T shop service/ Ford shop manual, FO-20. When I return the old clutch to the dealership tommorow, I plan to ask them. Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 861 clutch #27  
Starter drive spare parts. The clutch bellhousing is the defacto storage area for spare starter drive parts when they come apart..

soundguy

/ Ford 861 clutch
Starter drive spare parts. The clutch bellhousing is the defacto storage area for spare starter drive parts when they come apart..

soundguy

Thanks, When I went to the dealer this morning that is what they told me too. I was a little worried then about my current starter, but they told me if it's working and there wasn't any other parts besides the parts off the clutch, not to worry.

/ Ford 861 clutch #29  
that big washer with the notch out of it is the giveaway.. it's on the end of the starter drive..

soundguy

/ Ford 861 clutch
The dealer even pulled out a new end for the starter to show me where it went. Just waiting on new seals now. Should be in on Wednesday.