Ford 861 clutch

/ Ford 861 clutch #1  

123rday

Silver Member
Tractor
'09 3038E
Was wondering what it would take to change out the clutch on a recently purchased used ford 861? I know I need to support the tractor on both sides and was told to stick a wedge up front to keep the front from tipping at the wheels. But how difficult is it. I have dismantled and after someone else machined the block, reassemble a 4.3L Chevy motor, as well as changed the clutch out a few times on the same truck. Could I potenially use a cherry picker to hold up and support the back half of the tractor, while maybe supporting the front with cement blocks and 2by? Also would a car place that resurfaces flywheels be able to do the same for a tractors? Thanks for all your support and comments ahead of time.
Roger

/ Ford 861 clutch #2  
I changed the clutch in my 841D in about 2 hours. Hung the front with a cable come-along (& a jackstand for backup) from my garage ceiling & supported the rear with a floor jack. Pulled the bolts & rolled the rear back 3', changed the clutch/pressureplate, rolled the backend back into place & bolted up. MikeD74T

/ Ford 861 clutch
Did you do anything with the flywheel? Turned, left alone, or replaced? I spoke with an uncle a couple of hours ago. He didn't think it would be that bad of a job. Also besides fordtractorparts.com is there another place that sells the clutches. FTP.com is @ $210. plus shipping. Thanks.

/ Ford 861 clutch #4  
I did not reface the flywheel. Actually the clutch disk was ok but the pressureplate was bad. Couldn't see taking it apart in another year just to get a little more from the disk which was already about 40 years old. I did have a Dodge truck flywheel refaced last fall. It cost $40 and looked like new. MikeD74T

/ Ford 861 clutch #5  
Did you do anything with the flywheel? Turned, left alone, or replaced? Also besides fordtractorparts.com is there another place that sells the clutches. FTP.com is @ $210. plus shipping. Thanks.

The double clutch in the 861 does not use the flywheel as a friction surface. $210 for that double clutch is a swinging deal. In fact, be sure that is the correct clutch, it is quite cheap in comparison to other sources.

/ Ford 861 clutch
The double clutch in the 861 does not use the flywheel as a friction surface. $210 for that double clutch is a swinging deal. In fact, be sure that is the correct clutch, it is quite cheap in comparison to other sources.

Thanks, I'll double check. I was wondering if I had the double clutch anyway. I'm still trying to come up with the serial numbers to make sure I get the right parts. Besides $210 was for a 10" clutch from ford tractor parts.com

/ Ford 861 clutch #7  
An 861 by definition has a 5 speed transmission and double clutch. If it doesn't have both, it's not an 861.

/ Ford 861 clutch
An 861 by definition has a 5 speed transmission and double clutch. If it doesn't have both, it's not an 861.

It definately has a 5 speed. My cousin from whom I bought it, was told it was an 861. But he kinda thought the 8 was the series and the 61 was the year. That's when I went in to search mode.

/ Ford 861 clutch #9  
It definately has a 5 speed. My cousin from whom I bought it, was told it was an 861. But he kinda thought the 8 was the series and the 61 was the year. That's when I went in to search mode.

This website will help you decode Ford's model numbers.

Identifying Old Ford Tractors

/ Ford 861 clutch
This website will help you decode Ford's model numbers.

Identifying Old Ford Tractors

I've been trying to use that sight, but I'm having a hard time figuring the serial number. I haven't been able to find it where it tells me to look, above and behind the starter.

Also where would be the cheapest place to find a new clutch. I've read on another site not to use the remanufactured due to various reasons.