Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    '09 3038E

Default Ford 861 clutch

Was wondering what it would take to change out the clutch on a recently purchased used ford 861? I know I need to support the tractor on both sides and was told to stick a wedge up front to keep the front from tipping at the wheels. But how difficult is it. I have dismantled and after someone else machined the block, reassemble a 4.3L Chevy motor, as well as changed the clutch out a few times on the same truck. Could I potenially use a cherry picker to hold up and support the back half of the tractor, while maybe supporting the front with cement blocks and 2by? Also would a car place that resurfaces flywheels be able to do the same for a tractors? Thanks for all your support and comments ahead of time.
    Roger

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Default Re: Ford 861 clutch

I changed the clutch in my 841D in about 2 hours. Hung the front with a cable come-along (& a jackstand for backup) from my garage ceiling & supported the rear with a floor jack. Pulled the bolts & rolled the rear back 3', changed the clutch/pressureplate, rolled the backend back into place & bolted up. MikeD74T

Tractor
    '09 3038E

Did you do anything with the flywheel? Turned, left alone, or replaced? I spoke with an uncle a couple of hours ago. He didn't think it would be that bad of a job. Also besides fordtractorparts.com is there another place that sells the clutches. FTP.com is @ $210. plus shipping. Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

I did not reface the flywheel. Actually the clutch disk was ok but the pressureplate was bad. Couldn't see taking it apart in another year just to get a little more from the disk which was already about 40 years old. I did have a Dodge truck flywheel refaced last fall. It cost $40 and looked like new. MikeD74T

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by 123rday View Post
    Did you do anything with the flywheel? Turned, left alone, or replaced? Also besides fordtractorparts.com is there another place that sells the clutches. FTP.com is @ $210. plus shipping. Thanks.
    The double clutch in the 861 does not use the flywheel as a friction surface. $210 for that double clutch is a swinging deal. In fact, be sure that is the correct clutch, it is quite cheap in comparison to other sources.

Tractor
    '09 3038E

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    The double clutch in the 861 does not use the flywheel as a friction surface. $210 for that double clutch is a swinging deal. In fact, be sure that is the correct clutch, it is quite cheap in comparison to other sources.
    Thanks, I'll double check. I was wondering if I had the double clutch anyway. I'm still trying to come up with the serial numbers to make sure I get the right parts. Besides $210 was for a 10" clutch from ford tractor parts.com

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

An 861 by definition has a 5 speed transmission and double clutch. If it doesn't have both, it's not an 861.

Tractor
    '09 3038E

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    An 861 by definition has a 5 speed transmission and double clutch. If it doesn't have both, it's not an 861.
    It definately has a 5 speed. My cousin from whom I bought it, was told it was an 861. But he kinda thought the 8 was the series and the 61 was the year. That's when I went in to search mode.

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by 123rday View Post
    It definately has a 5 speed. My cousin from whom I bought it, was told it was an 861. But he kinda thought the 8 was the series and the 61 was the year. That's when I went in to search mode.
    This website will help you decode Ford's model numbers.

Identifying Old Ford Tractors

Tractor
    '09 3038E

Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    This website will help you decode Ford's model numbers.

Identifying Old Ford Tractors
    I've been trying to use that sight, but I'm having a hard time figuring the serial number. I haven't been able to find it where it tells me to look, above and behind the starter.

Also where would be the cheapest place to find a new clutch. I've read on another site not to use the remanufactured due to various reasons.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast