FORD 4000 gen light

/ FORD 4000 gen light #1  

JRA29

I have a 1971 ford 4000 i put a new generator and a voltage regulator on just recently. the light in the dash stays on, only to cut off if you disconnect the terminal form the battery or cutting the key off. There is power to both of the terminals at the generator. I took the pos(+) terminal while running and and it had power. Any suggestions to why the light is staying on?

/ FORD 4000 gen light #2  
The lamp is lit because there is a voltage differential between the accessory post on the key switch which feeds the lamp, and the WL terminal of the regulator, which is connected to the other side of the lamp bulb. Almost always an indication the system isn't charging. Did you polarize the regulator when you installed it? Is the regulator properly grounded?

/ FORD 4000 gen light
the regulator is bolted to the frame if that is sufficiant for a ground, as for polarizing i have no idea

/ FORD 4000 gen light #4  
the regulator is bolted to the frame if that is sufficiant for a ground, as for polarizing i have no idea

The 'E' terminal of the regulator must be connected to a clean ground.
Any new generator must be polarized before use. With the tractor not running, remove the wire from the regulator's 'F' terminal and momentarily touch it to the battery (B) terminal of the regulator. The quick surge of current will polarize the generator.

/ FORD 4000 gen light #5  
Do as RickB sais. It sounds like the rotor in the new alternator is not magnetized. Momentarily touching the F terminal to the battery terminal will remagnetize the rotor. Basically it needs a jump start to get it working the first time. The slight magnetism in the rotor can be lost sometimes when they are being rebuilt or if they set around for a long time. Once remagnetized you shouldn't have any further problems.

/ FORD 4000 gen light #6  
This a new indian made genny? if so.. she will deffinately need polerization...

post back if that got you going?

soundguy

/ FORD 4000 gen light
I touched a jumper to the "F" post of the regulator it arced then made sure the ground was secure to the regulator to the frame and the light went out
THANKS GUYS!!

/ FORD 4000 gen light #8  
I'm glad you got it charging. The info I posted was almost verbatim from the Ford repair manual that covers 2000-5000 and 7000 tractors.