Ford Model 1920 Tire/Rim help

/ Ford Model 1920 Tire/Rim help #1  

breamer999

I purchased a 1995 Model 1920 with turf tires. I am new to the tractor scene, so bear with we for a few questions.

1) I am having extreme difficulty finding rims for this. I was told by my neighbour I could get any 24" rim and cut the bolt pattern out of the existing rim that is with the turf tires and have a welder use that bolt pattern with the new rims, ideas? comments?

2) Followup to that, has anyone ever used a different size rim with this tractor, ie) 28" or 27" successfully?

3) I need to get a snow blower for this but with the turf tires, the *** end of her is over 6', I am also told that is the maximum size blower this tractor will handle. I live in Prince Edward Island, Canada and we get *lots* of snow. Can I shorten the back wheel width, but bringing the tires in closer and keep the turf tires and add chains and go for a 6' blower?

4) Or is there any combination above or any other suggestions I may have missed

Thanks all

/ Ford Model 1920 Tire/Rim help #2  
Why not just use chains on it ? That would be much simpler than trying to put different tires and custom (expensive) rims on it. And I've got a nice, almost new, excellent condition 72" Allied snowblower I'd sell you.

Steve

/ Ford Model 1920 Tire/Rim help #3  
NH and Ford used 24" rims on most of it's larger compact tractors from the 1520 to the 2120. Note though that those on the 1920 and 2120 were heavier duty than the rest and had 8 bolts where the smaller tractors were only 6 bolts. Not sure about the width changes, but the larger ones were obviously wider as well, but still 24".

The pictures I have of the turf rims are so much smaller it's hard to imagine they're even 16"! I'm pretty sure you can't change the width of turfs as the rim is constructed so differently.

You didn't say if your tractor was 4wd or 2, but note that it its 4, you likely have to change the fronts too so the correct ratio is maintained.

By the way, the original Ag tires on the 1920 were 13.6 x 24 on the rear and 7 x 16 on the front.

/ Ford Model 1920 Tire/Rim help
The tractor is 4wd and the turf tires are 16.1, and are huge.

The width of the arse end is over 6', so even a 6' blower is not wide enough. Thats why I need to change the rims, to narrow it in and get a blower small enough for 29hp pto to drive, and up here we get lots of snow

Based on what I am reading, alot of these came with turf tires, what was the thinking?

If this tractor would accomodate 84" blower (7feet) then I would say, great, put chains on the turf tires and lets go. But I dont think I have the HP

As a side question, instead of a blower, what about a seven foot blade to move snow, is that a cheaper more viable option?

Yet another thought folks. Why not try a 5' blower with 2, one foot flanges on either side, to sort of scoop the snow into the blower? All I need is seven feet with.

/ Ford Model 1920 Tire/Rim help #7  
yep.. if 4wd. rolling circumference ratio front to rear needs to be maintained.

soundguy

Thanks Soundguy. I am having a real B*** of a time trying to find rims. NH up here wants $600 each...

/ Ford Model 1920 Tire/Rim help #9  
they get ya one way or the other.

ya either got to buy oem matched rim. or find the ratio of the old rolling circumference..then find a rimset and tires that will match the ratio front to rear.. then weld in the centers on the front.. and find compatible centers for the rear.. or weld those in too.

soundguy

You have given me an option Soundguy:

Also, if I find stock rims, for both front and back I would just have a welder cut out the center bold pattern disc, correct?

If I go the latter route, how would I find the ratio? is there an easy way?

Further, what would happen if I went to say, a 28" rear rim and properly matched the front rim as well. What I am getting at, will that alter the performance of the tractor, going with a 4" bigger rim on the front.

I'm all ears..