Clutch problem

/ Clutch problem #1  

Kosmo

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford/NH 1715
Hi all,

I'm a real newbe to tractor ownership. I recently bought my first tractor a used NH 1715 4X4. It seemed fine when I loaded it and unloaded it. After sitting for about 4 weeks, I started it up and had trouble getting it in gear. I can get it into low first and second but it definitely wants to move even when if push in the clutch. It's as if the clutch is not releasing. The pedal feels normal. It does appear that the linkage adjustment is at the end of the line or screwed all the way down to the stop. Any ideas about what i'm dealing with. Thanks.

/ Clutch problem #2  
"It definitely wants to move", as is full power just like it's in gear? Or does is try to creep forward like the clutch is slightly dragging?
If it is full power like it's in gear, your clutch is probably rusted and won't release. Search for "rusted clutch" and you'll find several remedies.

/ Clutch problem
Thanks,

I found several posts that may be applicable. I'll give them a try. I found the cotter pin, described in one post about rusted clutches, in a weephole under the bell housing which was rusted in place. I wiggled it around and it broke off (rusted pretty good). What is the purpose of the cotter pin? Is this put in place by the factory or is it put there by owners who are just trying to keep the hole open?

Thanks again

/ Clutch problem #4  
The cotter pin was put there by the factory. It's intended to keep the hole open as it wiggles while using the tractor.

/ Clutch problem
Hi all,

I've been banging on this thing for a while now. Is it possible that there is some other issue causing my symptoms. The free travel of the clutch pedal is barely within specs but there is no further adjustment left in the linkage bolt to narrow the free travel. Does this indicate time for a clutch job. If so, I'll just open her up. Thanks.