Ford 1500/1700 injector pump

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #1  

lowflying90

i recently found this board. i have both a ford 1500 (4wd) and ford 1700 (2wd) tractor. I read about changing the oil in the injector pump. Neither one has the drain hole and level hole tapped out from the photos i've seen. there are spots there where the bolts show up, but nothing drilled with screws. any thoughts?

thanks,
jeff

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #2  
The amount of oil is not much. I wondered if one can take a bulb syringe and small tube and try to suck up the oil from the top. It may be worth a try. Do you have the fill cap? It would not be hard to drill and tap a drain hole but would be really afraid of getting contaminates in.

JC,

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #3  
I took these 2 pictures that show where the fill, the level and the drain plugs are on a ford 1700. Second picture has the instructions on it. These photos are from the Ford 1700 owners manual.

Attachments

• DSC04641.jpg
    DSC04641.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 4,406
  • DSC04643.jpg
    DSC04643.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 2,074
   / Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #4  
If you need more information let me know, I may be able to provide more pictures and info. When you drain the old oil loosen or remove the fill plug to let old oil drain out completely. As you can see the pump does not hold much oil volume. Use your mouse to click on the pictures above to enlarge them to good viewing size.

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #5  
Thats odd that there are no screws there. I would agree with JC that drilling and tapping a hole might allow shavings to get in, probably not a good idea unless you were goint to take the pump off and disassemble it. I would at least add the recommended amount of oil, too much oil is better than not enough. Hey JC, I have been told by the dealer before that the injector pump on the 1700 used crank case oil. I thought the guy was wrong because mine has a fill and drain plug. Do you think its possible that later models did use crank oil and thats why there are no plugs on his? Hey low, can you post a picture of your pump? Also what year model is it? Good Luck, TB

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #6  
Fill with clean engine oil as stated above. My 1700 pump looks ecactly as the one pictured and uses clean engine oil. I would not attempt to drill any holes if there are none already there. See 2nd photo with instructions printed.

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #7  
Thats odd that there are no screws there. I would agree with JC that drilling and tapping a hole might allow shavings to get in, probably not a good idea unless you were goint to take the pump off and disassemble it. I would at least add the recommended amount of oil, too much oil is better than not enough. Hey JC, I have been told by the dealer before that the injector pump on the 1700 used crank case oil. I thought the guy was wrong because mine has a fill and drain plug. Do you think its possible that later models did use crank oil and thats why there are no plugs on his? Hey low, can you post a picture of your pump? Also what year model is it? Good Luck, TB

Hey Tex.,

All I can say in the manual it says 1700 does not share oil with crankcase as 1700 owners we know. But does say on 1710 the injector oil is shared with crankcase oil. May be they have a different pump in this 1700. I'd get close and personal with the injector pump to see how it is attached to the block to see for passage way potential, or a tube or something. When I inspect my injector close, it is easy to see there is no physical connection to the block other than timing cover. I suggest to the original poster to peek a closer look all around the injector pump. I bet your dealer was saying "same type oil" as crankcase rather than "shared oil with crankcase".

JC,

fueloilxv6.jpg

My 1700 Injector pump:

dsc03568un4.jpg

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #8  
Yea JC, I did not take his word for it whatever he meant. lol I just filled mine from the vent cap till it came out of the upper level hole.

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #9  
The injector pump in my ford 1700 does not share oil from the engine. Maybe the ones without the fill and drain holes do. Mine however does use engine oil for lubrication but it is a completely seperate resivoir. I have 1000 hours on the 1700 tractor and have only changed oil once. I bought it new and have never had a problem. I am crossing my fingers that nothing will go bad in the next 1000 hours.

/ Ford 1500/1700 injector pump #10  
Still interested in seeing a picture of low's pump, can you do that low? Thanks, TB