Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #21  
When you have a faulty design, no matter how many times you replace the part you have the same problem.
larry

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?
Larry, That is my concern, too. That is why I hope many more TC owners will weigh in here so we might shed some light on this for NH's attention.

Does anyone know how many New Holland tractor models have this same design?

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #23  
I would say this; if I were to replace the pawl, I would first heat treat it with Kasenit. From what I'm reading, there is no problem with the design, just the surface hardness of the metal of the pawl?

KASENIT at Brownells

Thanks Hematite, I would never have known about this product. It seems appropropriate to be mentioned by someone with a name like Hematite, which I assume has something to do with the iron oxide mineral. Have you ever used it for anything?

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #25  
Hey, you're welcome, it may just be the answer to this problem. LOL, the Hematite comes from the color of the truck that I bought to pull my travel trailer, now also for my, soon to arrive, equipment trailer. My wife said, "that truck, in the sun, looks just like hematite".
CarogaLakeParkandSunlineandF150024.jpg

That Kasenit is a very reliable and relatively easy to use compound that gunsmiths and gun hobbyists use to case harden gun lock parts, in particular. The lock parts are under a bit of pressure and, if not hardened, will really wear rapidly.

I could be wrong but I think that hardening with Kasenit will make the pawl imune to wear but still not be brittle so that it would snap off. That's the big advantage of case hardening over complete hardening through and through. I have used it and it is relatively simple to use with just a propane torch. The thinner pointed areas will heat more and take a deeper hardening so I would focus the heat more on the thicker areas to make the case depth more even. If you live near the Hudson Valley, New York you can use the compound I have on hand. One bag seems to last a lifetime!

Hematite, that is a good looking truck and well named for its color. I was wondering how sophisticated the heating process needed to be, and you answered that with your description of using a propane torch. The cost seems very reasonable, so I will buy some for my own use. Thanks for this advice.

I have not yet heard back from my service department, presumably after NH contacted them to provide the proper solution for the brakes. Very interested to hear what they say, now that I know what the part is, and how to improve it by Kasenit hardening.

I want to ask again how many other people have this same problem, and how many NH tractor models use the same parking brake design as the TC45DA Boomer. I am hoping to give NH some feedback. If I am one of the few to have the problem then I can't expect them to be too concerned. If the design is not robust enough to last, as I suspect, it would be great to have some statistics to back up this suspicion. Thanks

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #27  
My little 2003 24D uses this same design. I emailed NH about it a few years ago after it released and allowed the tractor to roll down a slight incline and into a creek on our property. They had the dealer pick it up and he determined that is was fine, but I should just make sure that I don't put it on the first notch. Well a few years later, it will still pop off on me occasionally - only if I happen to leave the tractor running. I really like the brakes on this tractor as they work well and won't allow the tractor to move unlike what I've heard about the Kubota's and people driving with the parking brake on. But this parking brake design is pretty poor.

Jwstewar, That is as I suspected, that the smaller compacts also use that same design. I am assuming that the 55-60 hp tractors do, too. Does anyone know if the TN Series have the same parking brake design?

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #29  
Jwstewar, That is as I suspected, that the smaller compacts also use that same design. I am assuming that the 55-60 hp tractors do, too. Does anyone know if the TN Series have the same parking brake design?
I have a DX55, but just checked the parts diagrams to be sure and the newest NH 4055 parts look the same as mine, and they do. It is similar to the smaller boomers as far as having the lock or pawl, but it is activated by a long cable/wire with a 'T' handle under the left side of the seat. Like an old choke wire on a lawnmower. I have to keep the wire lubed by the handle otherwise it binds terribly and I cannot pull the handle far enough to lock the bakes.
My tractor is 2 years old but the newest version as far as parts go. I got a call from an company taking a survey for CaseIH, about 6 months after I bought the tractor. It was a long and detailed survey, and I rated the tractor very high in all categories, until he came to one of the final questions. He asked what was the worst feature on the tractor. I told him the parking brake was unsafe, and he added my comments about how it released on it's own several times after I was off the tractor. He said the comments will go to CaseIH. Then he said "I hear the same thing on every call". I'm surprised to see the same design today. Maybe they make the cable/wire better now, for smoother operation. After 2 years of use, I stand by my original survey answers too. Great tractor, terrible parking break design. It would be more safe to have no brake and know it, than to think you have a brake and it fails.

Ford850, That is good feedback on the 4055, and seems to be painting the same picture--the design is prevelant, it is unsafe, and many owners recognize that it is a problem for them. I am hoping to get a few more threads here, and then I intend to contact NH customer service, again, to see how they can improve the parking brake.