Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #51  
Charles, I'm pretty sure the connector you saw is for a trailer. It may even have trailer brake power wired into that connector. I'd say $21,500 is a great price for that tractor.

I have had my parking brake apart one time to clean the pawl pivot bushing that used to bind when my tractor was new. There was some rust and dirt in there that got cleaned out and it works smoothly now. I think you can get it apart since your subframe looks the same as mine for my 16LA loader, not sure. I think If I were you, I'd try to remove the pawl, grind in new teeth, and bend it so it engages the pedal in a different spot from where the V-slot is. You just might save yourself a couple hundred bucks and end up with something that works better than most. What can it hurt to try before buying parts?

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #52  
Changing out the parking ratchet pawl looks straight forward, as RickB described. Getting the parking brake off so I can "seal" over the groove in the engagement tab that is welded to the pedal shaft is not as straight forward. It looks like I would need to do the welding and grinding with the pedal still in place. That is, unless I want to remove the Woods backhoe subframe. Some pictures, below. Is nothing ever simple? RickB, is brazing and grinding the tab with the brake pedal in place something that you would attempt--that is, should I attempt that? I just went out and purchased a grinder, hoping to do this, and hope I can convince a neighbor with a welder to do the brazing. When I look at that groove in the engagement tab, it suggests just how soft that metal must be. If I tried to do that with a blunt saw I can't believe that I could have done a better job of hacking into it.
Could you move that ratchet pawl over toward the pedal? Or cut the engagement tab off and then reweld at proper angle once you refurbish it?
larry

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?
Spyderlk, I like your suggestions. However, I don't think that there is enough space on the ratchet pawl pivot rod to move it over to a better engagement area of the tab. It should be possible to remove and reweld the tab in a better place. However, it wouldn't be any harder in another spot, unless hardened by Hematite's suggestion--using Kasenit. Since I am not a welder, I would need to get someone to do that for me. But, it might be easier, less expensive, and just as effective to leave it where it is, and MIG weld it like RickB suggested.

It would be great if others could crawl under their tractors and see if their parking brake parts look like mine--very badly worn, or like Jinman's--like new.

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #54  
After looking at the pics, could it be possible that the pawl on your tractor is not coming back far enough and is rubbing every time you use the brakes and this is what caused the excessive wear.
Bill

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #55  
After looking at the pics, could it be possible that the pawl on your tractor is not coming back far enough and is rubbing every time you use the brakes and this is what caused the excessive wear.
Bill

That idea does make a lot of sense since there is a LOT of wear.

It may be possible to weld a heavier thickness piece of steel onto to current pawl and have deeper teeth cut into it. After welding the wear groove shut on the pedal you may have a better, stronger setup.

Definitely check to see if the pawl is dragging on the pedal bracket.

I checked the position of the ratchet pawl when it is disengaged. It is well out of the way of the engagement tab on the brake. So, again I am forced to believe that the metals were just too soft. Hematite, does your 2008 New Holland T2310 have the same design, and does it show any wear? How many hours?

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #57  
My TC35A has 600 hours and I always use the brake. Checked this afternoon and it looks brand new. Sharp pointy teeth. The set up looks like jinman's.

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #58  
Too bad the ratchet piece is so expensive - you could buy/get a second one and weld/bolt the toothed section to the original (less disassembly). That doesn't fix the pedal tooth though. SO odd how those wore - like they were rubbing on each other all the time, not just when the brake was on. Curious yours is the only one? My 2120 has a somewhat similar setup and at 16 years and 1400 hours looks like new????
Jim

I had originally thought that my problem was probably common, given the simplicity and prevalence of the parking brake design. Now, I am thinking that my problem is the odd exception. It is time for me to do something about fixing it, either myself, or at the local NH dealer. Still hope for feedback from a few more people who have had a chance to look at theirs. Thanks!

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #60  
I just took my parking brake apart (TC35 I think its a 2003 just purchased it used a week ago) becuase is was sticking. When the parking brake was locked and I stepped on the pedal its supposed to release but it wasn't.

I emryed the shaft and greased it real good now it works perfectly.

I'm wondering if you had a similiar issue and it was rubbing on the lock plate causing the wear you see.
Maybe the previous owner did it.