Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    135
    Location
    Vermont
    Tractor
    NH TC45DA SuperSteer

    Default Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    I have a 2006 TC45DA and have had problems with the parking brake letting go from the first days that I owned it. It had 190 hours when purchased, but had only been used to pull an orchard wagon. It now has about 550 hours. I am very familiar with all the tricks of trying to get it to set, but now it will not set at all. I have looked at the mechanics, which are very simple, probably too simple. Does anyone know if there is any parking brake adjustment? I don't believe so. I am thinking that I may need to replace the ratchet plate. I asked a similar question on the general Repair category, but am hoping someone in the NH discussion will have a more specific answer. I don't understand why my local dealer's service department says this is a rare problem, considering the prevalence of this design on NH tractors. Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    I have a TC 33 DA, and it has the same problem. So it can't be too rare a problem.

  3. #3
    Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    jinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,014
    Location
    Texas - Wise County - Sunset
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    I have 1500 hours on my TC45D and the parking brake still works just fine. The only reason I mention that is to say that these brakes can work very well. Having said that, I think once the ratchet pawl starts to fail, it is likely to get worse very quickly and deteriorate to not working at all. The key seems to be having very sharp corners on the teeth of the pawl and the lock on the brakes. Once the sharp edges are breached, it will continue to round off and become unusable. I have been very careful to not put too much pressure on the brake pedals when setting the brake. I think that's why mine has lasted so long.

    To repair the problem, I'd remove the components and file or grind the corners square and flat. Reassemble and use carefully to try and not let the mechanism ever slip and round the corners. All things considered, it's not the greatest design, but the fact that mine has worked for 1500 hours tells you that it can function if you are very careful with it. In your case, I suspect the "crew" at the orchard was in a hurry and set and released the brake many times. They probably didn't know how easily damaged the parking brake is and soon let it slip enough to round off the pawl teeth.
    Jim


  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,621
    Location
    VA
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    I have 1500 hours on my TC45D and the parking brake still works just fine. The only reason I mention that is to say that these brakes can work very well. Having said that, I think once the ratchet pawl starts to fail, it is likely to get worse very quickly and deteriorate to not working at all. The key seems to be having very sharp corners on the teeth of the pawl and the lock on the brakes. Once the sharp edges are breached, it will continue to round off and become unusable. I have been very careful to not put too much pressure on the brake pedals when setting the brake. I think that's why mine has lasted so long.

    To repair the problem, I'd remove the components and file or grind the corners square and flat. Reassemble and use carefully to try and not let the mechanism ever slip and round the corners. All things considered, it's not the greatest design, but the fact that mine has worked for 1500 hours tells you that it can function if you are very careful with it. In your case, I suspect the "crew" at the orchard was in a hurry and set and released the brake many times. They probably didn't know how easily damaged the parking brake is and soon let it slip enough to round off the pawl teeth.
    Is that like just putting the brake on a little bit? Isnt this brake the only thing you have to hold you on a hill if you need to leave the seat with the engine running??! If so there would have to be lawsuits on the books and it would be fixed by now. It should be a function of where the load points and pivot points are placed so that once engaged the force acting on the manually engaged lock pawl increases its tendency to stay engaged.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

  5. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    135
    Location
    Vermont
    Tractor
    NH TC45DA SuperSteer

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    Thanks for the information. I think Jinman gave me the specific information that I need to fix this pawl rather than to buy a new one for about $65. I am hoping that the bolts that hold the ratchet pawl on are not too difficult to remove, because they are tucked up under the step just far enough to make it difficult to get a straight on socket engagement. Someone mentioned that if the ratchet teeth had been hardened that this should not be a problem. How do we let NH know that this problem is both prevelant, and a safety hazard--yes, getting off the tractor when you think the brake is set and finding your tractor headed down the hill. I do put my bucket down, but not everyone uses a FEL, and when using my Woods backhoe it requires some very secure brake holding.

  6. #6
    Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    jinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,014
    Location
    Texas - Wise County - Sunset
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    Is that like just putting the brake on a little bit? Isnt this brake the only thing you have to hold you on a hill if you need to leave the seat with the engine running??! If so there would have to be lawsuits on the books and it would be fixed by now. It should be a function of where the load points and pivot points are placed so that once engaged the force acting on the manually engaged lock pawl increases its tendency to stay engaged.
    larry
    Larry, you only need to set the brake enough to hold the tractor. Setting it tighter serves no purpose. The method of "I push down as hard as I can and then pull the parking brake lock," is not the best choice for this mechanism. I've found my brakes hold very well with minimum pressure. I also normally lower the FEL bucket and/or lower the 3PH on any kind of incline before exiting the operator's platform. I won't begin to defend what I think is a lacking design in the parking brake lock, but I have used mine carefully for over 8 years and have had to do no repairs.
    Jim


  7. #7
    Silver Member boatyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    132
    Location
    western MASS.
    Tractor
    2005 New Holland TC35A

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    Is that like just putting the brake on a little bit? Isnt this brake the only thing you have to hold you on a hill if you need to leave the seat with the engine running??! If so there would have to be lawsuits on the books and it would be fixed by now. It should be a function of where the load points and pivot points are placed so that once engaged the force acting on the manually engaged lock pawl increases its tendency to stay engaged.
    larry
    I think that the advice in the manual to not park on a hill is impractical, but I always put it in gear, turn it off and set the brake. The TC35A brake seems a bit too easy to bump and let the tractor loose. Turning it off is not that hard and the hills where I live will set a tractor in motion in a heart beat. Getting killed or trashing a runaway tractor don't seem worth the time saved not shutting it down.

  8. #8
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    135
    Location
    Vermont
    Tractor
    NH TC45DA SuperSteer

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    Setting the parking brake and turning the tractor off is generally good advice. However, if you are using the pto or hydraulics with an attachment then you obviously need the tractor to be running. In the case of a backhoe, wood splitter, chipper, etc you need to be off the tractor, and away from the brakes. Thus, you need to rely very heavily on the parking brake, even if it isn't parked on a steep grade. Have others found like I have that you think you have set the brake, step off the tractor, and find that your weight on the tractor's step caused just enough deflection to release the parking brake. That is an additional safety problem, and very annoying. Don't get me wrong, I love my TC45DA! But, I believe the parking brake design is flawed and it affects both effective operation and safety. Let me know if you agree. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,621
    Location
    VA
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Billings View Post
    Setting the parking brake and turning the tractor off is generally good advice. However, if you are using the pto or hydraulics with an attachment then you obviously need the tractor to be running. In the case of a backhoe, wood splitter, chipper, etc you need to be off the tractor, and away from the brakes. Thus, you need to rely very heavily on the parking brake, even if it isn't parked on a steep grade. Have others found like I have that you think you have set the brake, step off the tractor, and find that your weight on the tractor's step caused just enough deflection to release the parking brake. That is an additional safety problem, and very annoying. Don't get me wrong, I love my TC45DA! But, I believe the parking brake design is flawed and it affects both effective operation and safety. Let me know if you agree. Thanks!
    I agree. I am amazed to hear that a problem like this exists. It is a simple issue to fix and the company is disrespecting your life by not doing it.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

  10. #10
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    135
    Location
    Vermont
    Tractor
    NH TC45DA SuperSteer

    Default Re: Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

    I want to state again that I love my NH TC45DA SuperSteer, and respect my local dealer. Still, I think it is important to stop ignoring the functional and safety problems that the dysfunctional parking brake causes. I should have done something when I first purchased the tractor, and found that the brake released when I put my foot on the step to dismount. The problem has worsened, and I should have acted sooner. My local dealer offered to order a new ratchet pawl (if that is what it is called), but didn't have enough experience to know if that would cure the problems. I hated to pay $65 for the part, plus labor, not knowing if that was the best solution. So, today I called New Holland and waited on line for about 15 minutes. I think the gate-keeper gentleman from India that I spoke to first was very nice, but had no knowledge of this problem. I finally convinced him to get me up the line to someone that could affect some solution. I ended up in Wisconsin. The NH agent listened to my long explanation and promised to provide a solution--to get a technical person at NH to speak with my local service agent to explain exactly what needs to be done to resolve the parking brake problem. I haven't had the call back yet, but was pleased that someone at NH took this seriously, and took some action. Mine cannot be an isolated problem, given the simplicity and prevalence of this P-brake design. Note, I have no cab, and think that the parking brake that comes with the cab package is probably a better design; at least it appears to be based on the schematic shown on the Parts & Service link at NH internet site. There is no P-brake schematic on that site for a TC series tractor without a cab. Again, I ask if others could read this thread, and comment. Thanks.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.