need some knowledge on a ford 1600

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #1  

BryanM

Gold Member
Tractor
John deere 2155, ford 1600
I am doing a favor for my father in laws friend who just lost her husband. Trying to get her ford 1600 tractor ready too sell. Its been sitting outside for a year. It started right up with a new battery but when I loaded it on a trailer I that it is leaking hydraulic fluid out of the front end loader cylinder. I think it also has another leak too of hydraulic fluid.

My question is I have found two fill caps 1 under the seat or close too being under the seat- It has a dip stick- Is that the fill for hydraulic fluid? And what kind does it take?

#2 fill hole is at base of steering coloumn what fluid is this? Both are low the second one does not have a dip stick but I can put my fingure in the hole and do not get any fluid?

The tractor I believe is a ford 1600 with a fel, hours are 1250. Its grease zirks have not been touched its bucket has cracked welds, seat torn up it is 4 wheel and seems too work but has a spray can paint job withe fenders with light rust. Diesel 2 cyl. anyone have any idea what is worth? or about?

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600
anyone hve any idea of the fill points?

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #3  
You fill it with uthf through the dipstick by the seat. You need to check the model # to see what you have. There should be a tag on the left side of the tractor on the belhousing. Tractor Data does not show the 1600 available with 4 wheel drive.
Bill

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #4  
I am doing a favor for my father in laws friend who just lost her husband. Trying to get her ford 1600 tractor ready too sell. Its been sitting outside for a year. It started right up with a new battery but when I loaded it on a trailer I that it is leaking hydraulic fluid out of the front end loader cylinder. I think it also has another leak too of hydraulic fluid.

My question is I have found two fill caps 1 under the seat or close too being under the seat- It has a dip stick- Is that the fill for hydraulic fluid? And what kind does it take?

#2 fill hole is at base of steering coloumn what fluid is this? Both are low the second one does not have a dip stick but I can put my fingure in the hole and do not get any fluid?

The tractor I believe is a ford 1600 with a fel, hours are 1250. Its grease zirks have not been touched its bucket has cracked welds, seat torn up it is 4 wheel and seems too work but has a spray can paint job withe fenders with light rust. Diesel 2 cyl. anyone have any idea what is worth? or about?

If you don't hear back from anyone else on the fluids, your best bet is to get a manual. It's about $20.

But here are some generic info.

The hydraulics should be filled from that fill cap in front of the seat. With Universal trans/hydrauilc oil that you can pick up at the dealer or tractor supply.

I am not sure what the one at the base of the steering column would be. Are you sure it's not the front 4wd axle that you are checking (ie: the plug on top of the front axle, near the left (as sitting on the tractor)?

The 4wd axle is filled via the plug on top of the front axle is the fill for it. There is supposed to be a dip stick on the plug. If it's not there then someone may have replaced the stock plug or god forbid the dip stick broke off and is somewhere in the front axle. Nonetheless, if it is 4wd you would fill the axle with UTF. I just pulled the plug/dipstick on my 1620 and the fluid level should be 3" below the machined spot where the plug seals on the 4wd axle housing. So you may not be able to feel the fluid by sticking your finger down there.

Although tractordata.com does not show this model available with 4wd, a google search shows units out there.

For prices, here is a nice graph of what it may be worth.
TractorData.com Ford 1600 tractor prices information

But with the leaks, poor maintenance and cracked bucket you may be looking on the low side.

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #5  
Hydraulics fill at the base of the steering column. Mine did not have a stick but I got a replacement one from the dealer that had one. The one near the seat is for the trans. Both take New Holland 134D fluid. Capacity for the trans is 22 qts and the hydraulic with loader is under 5 gals.

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #6  
Doesn't the 1600 use a shared reservoir for the hyd,trans and rearend like the 1700 and 1900.
Bill

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #7  
I'm guessing not Bill, the dip stick by my 1600 by the steering column is very low, but nice clean fluid. The filler plug under the seat is full to the top and contaminated with water, to the point where its milky. They must be seperate reservoirs. I would not mind some clarity on that myself. I have 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid to use when I get rid of the rear contaminated fluid, not sure what type fluid would go in the front, but it does look the hydro fluid when I fish some of it out. Ordered a crappy IT manual from the local new holland dealer, it MIGHT give the correct information on the oil capacitys and oil type. Wouldnt mind some advice from a 1600 owner who has performed this maintenance. Thanks, TB

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #8  
Poked around alittle bit on the net and found one guy who said that the front filler plug with the dipstick under the steering column was the hydraulic oil resivoir, and the fill plug in the rear under the seat was 90w oil. This makes sense to me, having a dipstick on the hydraulic resivoir and just a fill plug on the 90w. If this is the case, I would be relieved to know that contaminated oil has not been running through the hydraulics. TB

/ need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #10  
Re: need some knowledge on a ford 1600 #2

Hello and glad to meet you all. I am FlaReb and this is my first post. Would appreciate any help on this. I am trying to rehad a Ford 1600 tractor. Doing pretty well so far but have come to a "head-scratching" problem. The trans/rear end oil was way over full when I first looked at it (about 2 inches over on the dipstick for the fill port which is under and near the seat). Thought it was water but upon draining it - no water. Figured it was simply overfull so I filled with the recommended 21 quarts of oil specified by the manual and it is over full by 2 inches just like before I drained it. Does anyone know if there is another reservoir connected I needed to drain which holds about 3 quarts or does it have the wrong dipstick? This one is 8" long. Note: the hydraulic fluid change went ok no problems. Thanks and nice to have found this website.