50 hour service

/ 50 hour service #1  

tc35dforme

Platinum Member
Tractor
TC35D/16LA
A dumb question....

I'm closing in on 50 hours and looking towards the 50 hour service.

The New Holland book shows the following to be changed: Hydraulic Filter, HST Filter, Engine Oil & Filter, and Fuel Filter.

They don't list changing hydro oil...

Am I missing something ?? Can I really change the hydro filters without changing the fluid or should I just go ahead and change it ?

Thanks

/ 50 hour service #2  
At 50 hours, I checked the hydraulic fluid in my transmission (same hydraulic reservoir) and it was crystal clear. I believe the changing of the filter only is a safety measure in case any loose material might have been left in the oil during assembly. I'd do it just like the book says and not worry. My tractor is approaching 300 hours and that is the service interval which the book says I have to change the transmission oil (same as you). I'm sure you will be okay just changing the filter as NH suggests./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 50 hour service #3  
I just did a 200 hour service on my Cub Cadet. It too, was due for a new hydraulic filter. My oil appeared clean, but I changed it anyway. It was just my personal preference I suppose, but I had to drain most of it to change the filter anyway, so replacing it with fresh oil was no big deal. I think I paid in the neighborhood of $40 for 6 gallons of CASE-IH oil. It's cheap insurance when you think about it.

/ 50 hour service #4  
When I did the 50 Hr I didn't change the hydo fluid, will probably do that next service interval. I did change all other filters and grease all fittings regularly.

/ 50 hour service #5  
The reason why the hyd oil does not need to be changed (as often) is that hyd systems don't have a significant amount of debris entering them... unlike eng oil - debris from combustion such as acids, soot, etc.

The hyd filter is changed early to remove any debris from manufacturing. If you have the time, cut the filter open after you remove it, and look for any material in the filter pleats. Don't use a hack saw, as that will generate more flakes... a large pipe cutter is best... or heavy tin snips work...

/ 50 hour service #6  
Just curious, I've seen a couple of post in the past stating that the Dealer is responsible to perform the 50 Hour Service. Does anyone have any info on this. I purchased a NH1320 4 years ago and nothing was said about dealer doing the 50 hour service. I realize it's way too late now since I did the service and have about 400+ hours on tractor. But I would just like to know for my future dealings with this Dealer. Thanks

/ 50 hour service #7  
Lemmac, I think most dealers negotiate the first service, but they are not obligated in any way to do that. My dealer paid for filters and fluids and I paid for labor. I also had some warranty work to do and that was performed. I just think it's a way most dealers can introduce new owners to the dealership's service department. If you have a good experience, maybe you will return at 100, 200, 300, etc..