Please tell me what you know about a 7740

/ Please tell me what you know about a 7740 #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I have been looking hi and low for a Ford 7710 or 7610 because so many folks have told me that they are good simple, rugged, reliable models. One guy mentioned that he had a 7740 and really liked it. I began to research them and it looks like a very similar model in HP, size etc. It also looks as though the gears may be to the side rather than between your legs. Is this the case? Overall, please give me your opinions about the Ford / New Holland 7740 in 4wd. thanks

/ Please tell me what you know about a 7740 #2  
Standup tractor. Available in various configs. Search the 7840 which is very similar and there is a nice write up on the weak points and help buying used. If I recall, the porous block issue, sloppy front drive train from the 4wd activating during braking, and a number of other points.

The SLE's I think are all electroshift (powershift) trannys with power reverser, the S and SL had a few different combo's over the early years.

Well respected tractors, I know of two locally, one has 12,000 hours, the other 8000 hours. Both have never been apart. Both had electrical problems when young. Connectors corroding, bad pressure switches. Bad lift pumps in the fuel tank etc. One had a computer die. The high hour one works in the woods, the lower hour one is a chore tractor on a farm.

/ Please tell me what you know about a 7740 #3  
The 7710-II has the shifters off to the right of the cab. I am not sure about the open station tractors as I have only ran an 8210 open station and can't remember exactly but I think the shifters were off to the right hand side of the operators platform.

The 7610 was a straddle mount tractor if I recall and would be a different setup.

I have never ran a 7740

/ Please tell me what you know about a 7740 #4  
The forty series of tractors ar every good tractors. I have only been around the powershift models though. The only differance between a 7610 and a 7710 is the frame size, same hp, but the 7610 is the same frame size as the 6610, but has a turbo engine. My aunt had 2 7840's and liked them both. The diffenance between a 7840 and 7740 is that the 7840 is a six cylinder.

/ Please tell me what you know about a 7740 #5  
The forty series of tractors ar every good tractors. I have only been around the powershift models though. The only differance between a 7610 and a 7710 is the frame size, same hp, but the 7610 is the same frame size as the 6610, but has a turbo engine. My aunt had 2 7840's and liked them both. The diffenance between a 7840 and 7740 is that the 7840 is a six cylinder.

I thought the 7610 was a straddle mount while the 7710 was a flat deck?

/ Please tell me what you know about a 7740 #7  
That's correct. Nelson isn't wrong, just not very descriptive.

Thanks. I was starting to wonder if my mind was going:)

/ Please tell me what you know about a 7740 #8  

I disagree. The PowerStar series is my least favorite series of Ford tractors. They carry first generation electronics which have questionable durability and extremnely limited on-board diagnostics. The synchronizers in the Sl and SLE transmissions are incredibly expensive from a parts cost standpoint as well as labor intensive to install. The forward/reverse synchronizer is not especially strong. Ford engineers put an updated engine in an old design tractor, which worked out very well. Additionally, they threw electronic draft control and a computer-controlled partial range powershift transmission at it, or a Dual Power transmission with computer controlled clutchpacks.
I would either find a decent 7710, or skip up to something built in the last 10 or so years.

/ Please tell me what you know about a 7740 #9  
I'll add a bit to Rick's comments, there were some changes to the sychro's and if I recall the early ones are better that the latter ones.

From my time on european boards they tend to avoid them after 6-8000 hours. I have heard as well the SLE power shift as Rick says is expensive to fix once it goes. I'm told the MF Dyna trannies are the only early high hour computer controlled powershifts worth owning.