Boomer TC40D Cranks but Does not Start

/ Boomer TC40D Cranks but Does not Start #1  

DHayesJr

Tractor
New Holland Boomer TC40D
After about an hour of use I turned my tracter off to open a gate. It started back up OK and I was able to move inside the gate, and again I turned off the engine to shut the gate. When I tried to start the tractor again, it would crank (at normal speed) but would not start. I checked the fuel and it was getting fuel to the filter bowl; I removed the filter bowl and was able to blow through the filter, so it's not plugged, reinstalled it and refilled the fuel bowl by opening the valve before fully tightening the fuel bow. This did not help.

The usual interlocks normally keep the starter from operating, but there must be a secondary interlock that cuts off the engine when there is no weight on the seat. That is what I'll try to trace tonight when I get home.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look?

Thanks!

/ Boomer TC40D Cranks but Does not Start #2  
Turning over but not starting is a sign that your operator presence system is faulty. It's probably the seat switch. Pull up on the parking brake handle until the light comes on and give starting another try. If your seat switch is faulty, pulling the parking brake handle should cause the tractor to start. If that doesn't work, you need to make sure your fuel cutoff solenoid at the rear of the injector pump is operating when you turn on the switch. Normally, the solenoid is controlled by the operator present system, but it could be failing.

/ Boomer TC40D Cranks but Does not Start #3  
I'm not on my tc35 at the moment (!), but, if I recall correctly, the PTO engagement switch will also produce that symptom (crank but not start). I might be wrong. Years ago, I had a problem with my 35 not starting, only to discover that the PTO lever had been knocked slightly, and disengaged the safety bypass switch. If I'm right about that symptom, you might try that as well. The lever's position near your left leg makes it a target for being bumped as you enter and exit the operator's seat.

When I get off this office chair and back to my preferred seat (on my 35!), I'll play with some other symptoms. Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out, especially with Jinman's help!

/ Boomer TC40D Cranks but Does not Start #4  
Make sure something isn't under the seat area to allow seat to go down fully .

/ Boomer TC40D Cranks but Does not Start #5  
I'm not on my tc35 at the moment (!), but, if I recall correctly, the PTO engagement switch will also produce that symptom (crank but not start). I might be wrong.

Joe, I think you are not remembering the event correctly.:) Only the combination of the Parking Brake not being set and the seat switch open at the same time will allow the starter motor to engage the engine, but the fuel solenoid will not be energized and fuel will be cut off to prevent starting. The PTO and Gear Range lever will disable the starter motor if not in neutral. If the starter motor turns the engine over and it won't start, it's either the seat safety switch, a faulty fuel solenoid, or clogged fuel lines.