New Holland 1630

/ New Holland 1630 #1  

gilco3637

I am new to the forum as for posting messages. I have read much helpful information from the discussion amongst members with much more experience than I have and want to thank you all.

I own a 1630 New Holland with 780 hours. Recently, I have noticed a little more black smoke than usual, that continues after starting and warm up. Today, I put the tractor into 3rd range with engine rpm's in the 1800 range, and when I stepped on pedal for forward transport, fair amount of black smoke and not a lot of power to start. Do not notice nearly as much in 1st or 2nd range. Am I running way too rich, or should I be looking elsewhere.

Thanks.

/ New Holland 1630 #2  
I would check the air filter to make sure it's not pluged. You could also have some bad fuel. Some fuel treatment might help. At 1800 rpms you might be slightly lugging the engine.
Bill

/ New Holland 1630 #3  
1800 rpm in 3rd range will lug engine. You may have an injector that is faulty or dirty; Use some fuel treatment and see if it clears up. Air filter is another area to check as posted previously. Have you run it hard lately? If not, run it hard with a PTO load for a while, it may be carboned up.

/ New Holland 1630 #4  
1800 rpm in 3rd range will lug engine. You may have an injector that is faulty or dirty; Use some fuel treatment and see if it clears up. Air filter is another area to check as posted previously. Have you run it hard lately? If not, run it hard with a PTO load for a while, it may be carboned up.

I had a similar issue with my 1620 as during the winter I was using it to haul logs out of the woods and it never really got hot, nor did I run it hard. It was mainly at 1500 to 1800 rpm or at long idle periods. Once summer came and I started to use it with the FEL and running it at 2400 rpm I noticed the black smoke was a bit more than normal especially as it went under load. After a day with the brush hog on it and running it hard it seemed to have cleaned up.

But a dirty or leaking injector will also cause the issue. I would follow dqdave1's instructions before tearing into the fuel system to check the injectors.
Stuart

/ New Holland 1630
Thanks for the quick responses. Air filter and fuel conditioner appear to have done the trick. Thank you all.

Last edited: