Ford 1700 4wd

/ Ford 1700 4wd #1  

knucklehead

Platinum Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1700
Hi - I was posting on NH buying/pricing as <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=buynh&Number=159942&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=>Ford 1700 4wd</A>. Now that it's in the back yard /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif, I'm starting to think about things that seem better over here (or customization), so I'm posting again here with the same subject.

I spent 2 hours with the dealer today, going over parts diagrams (rainy day - few customers), and ordering all the little decals for the Rear lift, PTO, 4WD, etc. ($2.22 for the little rectangular PTO sticker that is only about 3/4" x 2" /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif). If I don't do it now, I won't ever pay it, and although I had a list of 11 stickers, I got only 5, for the stuff it seemed would be most valuable. At the risk of a few probably well deserved replies from our safety conscious bretheren, I figured I could skip the "Keep Hands Away From Fan" type stickers, as most of my family has brains enough not to do that. I did ante up $37 for the PTO guard, which I was thinking I didn't need, but am having vivid memories of a classmate that lost a leg up to nearly the hip when I was in grade school when his pants got caught in a PTO. The screw-in PTO cover was $15 or $20 for a plastic one, so I'll be trying to find out if the threads in the iron around the shaft are pipe size, or what, and make my own out of steel, hopefully a standard pipe nipple and cap.

One of the first things I was wondering is if I could convert the 2-lever FEL controls to the modern single lever. The whole kit (valve, hoses, connectors, lever, brackets) is $620, so if I can just get a few parts, and flip the existing valve on its side, I may be able to go cheaper. I have a Victor Fluidpower valve, and am wondering if it's useable for the conversion. Don't see why not, but the serial3's are different (due to different tractor/loader models?). My loader if the 770 - don't know if it is 770A or 770B, as shown in the parts lists, or what the difference is, so if someone could clue me in on that, I'd appreciate it.

Anyone have any experience with the size of the threads in the iron surrounding the PTO shaft on the 1700 Fords (shouldn't this be a standard sort of size, either on Ford models, or even all tractors, like the PTO shaft itself?.

Anyone ever think about or try to convert and old 2-lever FEL control to single lever?

/ Ford 1700 4wd #2  
pto cap part number sba378110021 plastic pto cap dealer list price 3.77 your dealer is a little high priced. The thread size is metric.

/ Ford 1700 4wd
Yike! Thanks...hope since he got it from the old 1700 model catalog it was really steel and I misunderstood. I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks.