Oil & Fuel TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start

/ TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start #1  

TopHawkeye

Routine service. 260 hours on tractor. Changed out fuel filter. Bled line. Fuel filter bowl filled slowly but did fill ultimately. Tried to start and it cranks but won't start.

Could the fuel line have clogged just that fast &, if so, can I check or fix myself? Ran fine prior to self-service of fuel filter.

Thanks

/ TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start #2  
bleed it again; make sure seat switch is working properly

/ TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start #3  
TopHawkeye, When I have changed my fuel filter I have always filled the bowl with fuel before screwing it on loosely, and then opened the fuel line to let fuel overflow (leak out) while completely tightening. This has always worked for me without needing to go through the bleed procedure. I am not sure it this is method is the best advice, but it has always worked for me. It probably would be advisable to do the bleed, as well.

/ TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start
I filled the fuel tank - as it was about only 1/8 full - then tried to re-bleed by loosening the bleed screw. Nothing came out - neither fuel nor air. Should I crank the engine with the screw loosened and, if so, would be to just turn it over without actually starting it. I am trying to interpret the owner's manual.

Thanks for suggestions. I'll try filling the bowl next time to avoid bleeding issues, but I still need to get it running again.

TopHawkeye

/ TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start #5  
I think you may have an airlock in the system before the bleed screw. To make sure you are getting fuel, turn OFF the fuel petcock above the fuel filter and loosen the retaining ring a bit. Turn the petcock on to allow fuel to overflow the fuel filter bowl a bit to ensure there is no air trapped where you cannot see it. This will also tell you that your fuel lines from the tank are clear. Close the retaining ring while leaving the petcock open. Now, try blleeding the fuel at the injector pump bleed screw.

I just think you injected so much air when you did not prefill the filter bowl that your system is in an airlock state. Doing a filter change following the steps Charles Billings suggested is a critical step in keeping air out of the system. Going back and ensuring the filter bowl is completely free of air is a good first step.

BTW: You should only have to turn the engine over to bleed the high pressure side of the injector pump. The system is self-bleeding and should work as long as you have no air in the inlet side of the pump.

/ TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start #6  
TopHawkeye, I know how frustrated you must feel. I think that I would add some Diesel 911 to your tank at the specified concentration and wait awhile, then follow the steps that Jinman outlined above. The 911 should help if water is a complicating factor in your starting problem; at least it won't do any harm.

/ TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start #7  
I would have to say that you are pumping air . If you can't bleed then loosen the lines at the block and pull them back A LITTLE BIT ONLY! Crank until fuel appears to drip out , tighten the lines and start the engine .

/ TC40A - Changed fuel filter, cranks, won't start
Thanks for the advice, Jinman. Worked like a charm. Much appreciated. Thanks to you others who commiserated and offered other good advice.

TopHawkeye