Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620

/ Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620 #1  

jdfire

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1620, hydrostatic FWD
Good Evening,

I am trying to find out the front/rear gear ratio for my 1995 Ford 1620 4WD tractor. I e-mailed the local dealer with no response. I have called and explained what I was looking for and they seemed confused as to what I was asking, said they would look it up and call me back. Nope ... not yet. Thought I would take a shot here and see if anyone has this info. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

/ Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620 #2  
That is something that normally is not needed and I've never had any manufacturer supply it. I would wonder why you need it? If you are changing out tires that would be the only place of concern. There are no options for you on the ratio's.

/ Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620
You're right Art. I'm looking to change to different tires and want to make sure the ratio of rolling circumference from front to rear stays within an acceptable lead percentage of the front/rear drive train ratio. Lots of posts on here with helpful information on what formula to use, how to measure rolling circumference, etc., but the one piece of the puzzle that needs to come from the manufacturer is the drive train ratio.

Thanks,
Dave

/ Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620 #4  
You're right Art. I'm looking to change to different tires and want to make sure the ratio of rolling circumference from front to rear stays within an acceptable lead percentage of the front/rear drive train ratio. Lots of posts on here with helpful information on what formula to use, how to measure rolling circumference, etc., but the one piece of the puzzle that needs to come from the manufacturer is the drive train ratio.

Thanks,
Dave

If you divide the existing front tire rolling circumference into the existing rear tire rolling circumference, would the result not be the front/rear final drive ratio?

If you divide the existing front tire rolling circumference into the existing rear tire rolling circumference, would the result not be the front/rear final drive ratio?

No, the way I understand it is the front/rear rolling circumference ratio is compared to the front/rear gear ratio to determine the lead/lag percentage.

Here's where I'm getting this info from.

/ Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620 #6  
No, the way I understand it is the front/rear rolling circumference ratio is compared to the front/rear gear ratio to determine the lead/lag percentage.

Here's where I'm getting this info from.

You can plug any number in for the front/rear drive ratio, because you aren't going to change it on that particular tractor. Whether or not the number you use is accurate or not is immaterial, so long as you use the same number for that calculation using your existing and proposed tire rollong circumference data. In fact, you can omit that altogether and divide the existing front R/C into the rear R/C and pick a pair of sizes that maintain or closely aproximate the result when similarly calculated.

You would probably get more help if you gave more detail as to exactly what you are trying to accomplish tire size- and type-wise. There isn't much point in trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

/ Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620 #7  
There's no reason we shouldn't know technical information on machines we own. This is important if we change tires.
I did the same thing with an earlier tractor I owned, it took some time but Deere did get back to me with the information.

You can plug any number in for the front/rear drive ratio, because you aren't going to change it on that particular tractor. ... In fact, you can omit that altogether and divide the existing front R/C into the rear R/C and pick a pair of sizes that maintain or closely aproximate the result when similarly calculated.

You would probably get more help if you gave more detail as to exactly what you are trying to accomplish tire size- and type-wise.

Rick, you're right that I could pick a set of tires that match the ratio of my current tires, if I could find an exact match. What I am trying to do, however, is replace my front turfs with a set of R-4s and the ones that have the same listed size (25x8.50-14) have an RC that is 3 inches bigger. What I am trying to determine, by comparing to the gear ratio, is how much of a change will be tolerated and still be within the acceptable lead/lag percentage (if I could even get THAT information from the dealer).

There's no reason we shouldn't know technical information on machines we own. This is important if we change tires.
I did the same thing with an earlier tractor I owned, it took some time but Deere did get back to me with the information.

I agree, it is kind of frustrating trying to get this information.

I finally got an e-mail back from the dealer saying "There are no listings on drive train ratio and or wheel lead for any tractor. What size and type of tire do you have on your tractor right now? What size and or type are you looking at putting on your tractor? Sometime if you tell us what your are trying to do we can help better that way." So I replied back, explained about the tire swap I was trying to accomplish, that I had an opportunity to buy some blemished tires at a discount and attached a copy of the article I linked to in my earlier thread that explained the problem and the formula. Not a word back.

Now, I understand that they are not going to be as helpful because they won't be the ones selling the tires, but they are still the manufacturer's representative and the gatekeeper to the technical information. If New Holland had a direct source of information, then I wouldn't need to bother the dealer, but that is not the system that is in place. It's not like this dealer makes no money off me, I buy all my supplies and parts there.

Anyways, I used the trick that someone on another thread mentioned, jacked up the right side of the tractor, put it in 4wd, and ran it slowly counting the revolutions for the front wheel and the back wheel, to get an approximation of the gear ratio. Using that information I determined that the extra 3 inches in circumference would make enough of a difference that I didn't want to risk it, so I just bought a new set of replacement turfs. :(

Sorry for the vent.

Thanks for the replies and I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday!!

Dave

/ Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620 #9  
Coming from turf to the industrials there would be two different ratios..

One if the ground is hard and the industrials are running on top of the cleat.

the second is with the cleats in the soft ground and the tire is into it's carcuss.

/ Front/Rear 4WD Gear Ratio - Ford 1620 #10  
You can figure it;
Chalk marks on front and rear tires, TWO WHEEL DRIVE, straight flat hard level surface, etc.
(You will have error if the existing front and rear are worn differently.)
Repeat in four wheel drive to figure lead/lag.
If that works out then your existing tire size is about right.

GoodyearAG.com has rolling circumference tables.
You MIGHT be able to imply from their tables for your existing tires and an assumption of around 5% lead.
At least check your measurements against the tables.

Let me know if the answer turns out to be 1.6:1