PTO indicator light

/ PTO indicator light #1  

Neil L

Silver Member
Tractor
NH 1925 hydro
I have a TC29D

I can't get the PTO indicator light to come on when I get the RPM up. During the start up The green 540 comes on and the red 600. but ther seems to be something wrong with whatever the sensor is that gives you the indication when operating.

Any thoughts as to where to check or some solution, will be great.

Thanks,
Neil

/ PTO indicator light #2  
Neil, my TC45D has the same problem. It's been that way for over a year. I've not taken the time to troubleshoot it because I know that the light comes on around 2600 rpm, so I just use the tach as a reference. Sorry, I can't be much more help. It is baffling that the lights test normal at start-up and then don't work.:confused: Mine does exactly the same thing.

/ PTO indicator light
Thanks Jin,

Its good to know, however dishartning, that I don't have a unique problem. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

I think my tach speed should be around 2400.

Thanks,
Neil

/ PTO indicator light #4  
Yesterday, while mowing, I revved my engine a little high and the 600 rpm light came on. Only the green 540 light does not work except for the self-test when I first start the tractor. Since I know the bulb is good, I'm a little baffled. This is interesting and I may have to look into it a little more. I'll look at my repair manual diagrams and do some research.

Well, the prognosis ain't good.:( Here is what the Repair Manual says:

NOTE: The 540/600 PTO indicator lights on the instrument panel are illuminated by a signal from the tractor tachometer. The PTO must be engaged for these lights to operate. The 540/600 indicator light circuit is part of the instrument panel printed circuit board and cannot be serviced, except for the indicator bulbs. If the 540/600 indicator lights malfunction, replace the instrument panel.

Can you imagine that?:rolleyes: I don't think I will be spending $300+ just to get that green 540 light to operate.:p I'll just keep using my tach.

Last edited:
   / PTO indicator light
This is a sorry admission of a weak link. What else is going wrong with our insturment panel?? I wonder if we have some electronic guys on the net that might shed some light on a way to repair rather than the typical "just buy parts"

Jin, Maybe you and I are the only ones that would like this function to operate, since the manfg felt the need to have the indicator in the first place

Best,
Neil

/ PTO indicator light #6  
Well, my instrument panel is magic; it healed itself.:eek: Wow! Yesterday, while mowing, I looked down and my 540 rpm light is working normally. I increased the rpm and the 600 light came on too. I got an inch of rain and my PTO llight started working. What more could I ask for?:D

My guess is that this light problem is related to a loose or dirty connection somewhere or maybe a broken trace on a printed circuit card.:rolleyes:

BTW: The PTO light is just on "Deluxe" model tractors. Economy models have an indicator of PTO speed silk-screened onto the face of the tachometer dial. Why they didn't just leave the silk-screen marks on our Deluxe models is beyond me. You would think one part would sure be cheaper to make than two parts, and we would have a backup method of reading PTO speed. Oh well . . . .

/ PTO indicator light #7  
I have a TC-40 D and the 540/600 PTO light does not indicate when the PTO is running at the proper speed .. ( i don't want to replace the instrument panel just for that ) .. I usually run my rig at 1500 RPM on the instrument panel tach, sounds good there and I think the engine loves it .. anyone know about where the engine should be ,RPM wise , when the PTO is in its sweet spot .. ??? thanks jim in newfield maine

/ PTO indicator light #8  
Hi, I came across this while searching for the answer to another question. Hopefully one of you will be able to answer for me

When I'm cutting grass I usually do so at a speed where the green 540 indicator is on, but when the red 600 comes on should I slow back down or is it okay to cut like that

/ PTO indicator light #9  
Hi, I came across this while searching for the answer to another question. Hopefully one of you will be able to answer for me

When I'm cutting grass I usually do so at a speed where the green 540 indicator is on, but when the red 600 comes on should I slow back down or is it okay to cut like that

I read the thread, and it appears your PTO lights are working as designed. I would not run a 540 rpm implement at 600 rpm for any length of time.