Ford 1700 injectors

/ Ford 1700 injectors #1  

ananomoose

I am trying to figure out why a friends 1700 won't start.
The tractor was run out of fuel so i bled the injector pump after reading this post http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-buying-pricing/84052-injector-pump-oil.html. I loosened the injector lines at the top of the injector pump and saw fuel bubbling around the nut but when I loosened the injector line nuts on the injectors (and tightening the ones on the other end) I could not get any fuel to flow to the injectors. I tried removing the lines and blowing compressed air through and they don't appear to be clogged.
The next confusing thing is that where the injectors thread into the head fuel appears to bubble around the threads when the the engine is cranked.

/ Ford 1700 injectors #2  
I am trying to figure out why a friends 1700 won't start.
The tractor was run out of fuel so i bled the injector pump after reading this post http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-buying-pricing/84052-injector-pump-oil.html. I loosened the injector lines at the top of the injector pump and saw fuel bubbling around the nut but when I loosened the injector line nuts on the injectors (and tightening the ones on the other end) I could not get any fuel to flow to the injectors. I tried removing the lines and blowing compressed air through and they don't appear to be clogged.
The next confusing thing is that where the injectors thread into the head fuel appears to bubble around the threads when the the engine is cranked.

Injector line should be bled from air where it is connected at the injector rather than " injector pump discharge". Make sure your fuel bowl is also bled in addition to injector pump. If air is bubbling after the compression nut is indication that you might have crossed the nut, the discharge line is not well seated or you have not turned it tight enough. Before getting a wrench on it to tighten make sure you don't have dome junk in the thread as well.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 injectors
I forgot to state that I started by bleeding the fuel bowl. The injector lines only bubbled at the injector pump when the nuts were loose. I tightened them and tried the nuts at the injectors but saw nothing. I them removed the lines and blew compressed air through them to make sure they weren't clogged, replaced the lines and tried again. Then I removed the lines from the injectors and only saw wisps of smoke? coming out of the line that goes to the #1 injector when I cranked the motor.
There are bubbles coming around the threads where the injectors thread into the head. but I can't understand what would cause that.

/ Ford 1700 injectors #4  
There is a copper seal between the injector and the head that is leaking. Sometimes you can snug the injector a little to stop the bubbling. Bleed the injector lines at the injectors. Also use the glowplugs when trying to start it cold.
Bill

/ Ford 1700 injectors
What would cause the bubbling there is no fuel getting to the injectors.
also they were bubbling when the injector lines were completely disconnected.

/ Ford 1700 injectors #6  
There is residual fuel in the cylinders and that is why it bubbles on the compression stroke. My 1910 had one injector that was bubbling after I replaced them. It ran fine but bubbled. I did as Hooked_on_HP advised and tighened it more and it stopped. This is not keeping it from starting.

/ Ford 1700 injectors #7  
bubbling indicates you have not bled all the air, some where in the fuel oil , fuel hose to the injector pump, pump itself, upstream piping all the way to the injector. Fuel should spurt out without bubbles after all the air is removed. do not expect to see a steady stream as the fuel discharges based on timing. I wonder if you are mistaken bubbling from spurting.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 injectors #8  
There are bubbles coming around the threads where the injectors thread into the head. but I can't understand what would cause that.

Don't confuse bubbling where the injectors screw into the head with bubbling at the compression nut of the fuel line into the injector. As JC pointed out, bubbling at the compression nut means there is air and you need to do further bleeding.

/ Ford 1700 injectors #9  
One thing you could try is once everything is bled and tighted, remove the glow plugs and spin the engine. No compression and it will spin easily and not burn up the starter. Look for a good mist of fuel from the glow plug ports. Then replace the glow plugs and use them to preheat before starting. It worked for me on a new engine rebuild.

Russell

/ Ford 1700 injectors #10  
This works for the 1700 and is all you should have done after running out of fuel. Everything else you did probably only caused more air in the lines. I have run out of fuel twice and used this and only this to restart the tractor with no problems at all:

From my 1700 Owners manual: Bleeding the fuel system. You need to do this for the following reasons:
1) A new filter element has been installed.
2) Tractor has run out of fuel.
3) The lines to or from thew filter have been disconnected.
4) The injection pump has been removed and reinstalled.

To bleed the system: Be sure there is adequate fuel in the tank. Open the fuel shut off valve. Open the (3) air vent screws Figure 33, and let air bubbles escape while cranking the engine. Then close the screws.
Last: Push the hand throttle to the high speed position. Turn the engine over a few seconds to bleed the high pressure fuel lines. My comments, not from manual: (Nothing needs to be loosened for this procedure) Tractor should start with this procedure at high speed throttle.
See picture of figure 33 at this link, scroll down to picture.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/n...-pump-oil.html.

This all you should have done to restart an out of fuel 1700 tractor.