New Owner of a 1953 Ford Jubilee

/ New Owner of a 1953 Ford Jubilee #1  

twtrout

After frequenting tractor shows and perusing the local ads and internet listings for the past 3 years I finally bought a 1953 Ford Jubilee. I knew before I bought it that it had a stuck clutch and thought that I could overcome that without too much difficulty. It had sat for a couple years in a shed unused. All 4 tires were replaced about a year before the previous owner died and so it has good rubber. The sheet metal needs work and the whole tractor needed cleaning. I have much more thoroughly inspected it now and identified a few issues that will need to be dealt with besides the clutch. The most serious of which is the rear end casting at bottom bolt hole on each side of the PTO is broken off. It appears that somebody tried to remove something like a swinging drawbar bracket and just tried to force stubborn bolts instead of using some PB or WD-40. The damage has not caused any leaking from the rear end but I priced a good casting from Smith's Old Ford Tractors for $425 plus shipping. I may just leave it as it is and wait until I run across something closer to Tennessee and less expensive. I guess because of the hydraulic pump differences between an 8N and a Jubilee the rear casting won't match up between the two. Will a 600 series rear casting work on a Jubilee?

I have had it for two weeks and after first bringing it home I drove it around with the clutch pedal depressed several times, turning figure eights and alternating the brake pedals, trying to get the clutch to break loose to no avail. Well today I decided to pull the starter and see if I could spray some brake cleaner on the clutch through the starter hole. While I had the starter off I thought that I would scrape some of the gook off that area of the engine block. As I tried to remove some of the dirt from the left rear freeze out plug a pin hole leak started. I guess the freeze plugs have corroded away from the inside. Can I get freeze plugs from an auto parts store or do I need to go to the NH dealer?

twtrout

/ New Owner of a 1953 Ford Jubilee
   / New Owner of a 1953 Ford Jubilee #3  
The naa casting is by itself.. the 00 series castings won't work.

sounds like 2 diagonal bolt holes hav ethe outter portion broke out.. it.. the bolt sthat hold the pro bearing carrier in.

If you don't plan on using a swinging drawbar frame there.. i think I'd just braze up the area with bolts removed, then drill and tap threads, and go.. it only has to hold in the bearing carrier.. nad ideally.. there should be no 'pulling' force on that... just make sure all shafts telescope easilly. Heck.. probably couls hand screw a stud in each hole and put a few blips of brace there to hold them in and then just use nuts on them.

as for the stuck clutch.. I just pulled my naa out of mothballs where it has sat for 7-8 years int he back of my barn with a damaged steering box. I blocke dthe clutch with a stick.. but over the years the stick broke letting the clutch return, and stick.

while rebuilding the carb and steering box, i blocked the clutch a few days, and then drove around with it blocked doing figure 8's in the pasture stomping on the outside brake pedal.

tried pulling starter and using a long brass drift and hammer to tap on the clutch thru the starter hole.. ( not sure that accomplished anything.. but??? )

I then placed in 4th gear and just kept bumping the starter over and she popped free.. after that i slipped her real good, and now block her when not in use.

good luck and keep at it.

soundguy

/ New Owner of a 1953 Ford Jubilee #4  
Just like you I bought a 1964 Ford 4000 Row Crop after much deliberation. I always liked the styling of the older Fords. I was fortunate to find one in excellent mechanical shape, new rubber, but it had sat in the weather so the hood and fender tops were surface rusted. So I stripped her down, got some Ford gray and Ford blue paint and shined her up. This is easier than you think. I paid 2,600 at sale and feel great about the tractor and price. The Jubilee has it's own mystique as do the other Fords in that generation.