ford 1920 clutch problem

/ ford 1920 clutch problem #1  

Lazy

Platinum Member
Tractor
ford 1920 w/fel and bh, case 470, allis chalmers B 1937, JD 450 track loader, Case vac, 3 cub cadets ford lgt 125, Kubota 2230/60 inch mower.1948 farmall cub 1953 farmall cub
I got on the tractor today and started it and let it warm up for a few minutes, pushed the clutch in and started to put in gear and heard the gears grind:mad: I can't get the clutch to release the engine from the transmission so I can put it into gear. Is this going to be a dealer fix, or is there a trick to fixing this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

unlucky me:mad:

/ ford 1920 clutch problem #2  
Lazy, your clutch disk has rusted to the flywheel. If you do a search for rusted clutches you will find various ways to try to free it. If you do get it to free up make sure when you park it you block the petal in the down position
Bill

/ ford 1920 clutch problem #3  
Lazy,

Ditto on what Bill said. A high tech piece of 2x4 is all you need to keep clutch disk a bit separated from flywheel so they won't rust together.

JC,

dsc07015zcz.jpg

/ ford 1920 clutch problem
Thanks for the replies. I hope thats the problem, I checked the price of the clutch disk and they were approx 300 dollars. a complete dual clutch assembly is like 2000 dollars.
What do you guys think of this Idea for freeing the clutch, raise the rear wheels off of the ground with the backhoes outriggers, bypass the neutral start switch and start the tractor in gear then shift into neutral and while the rear wheels are spinning use the brake to see if the sudden stop or shock will free it up?

/ ford 1920 clutch problem
Performed the task in my last post while holding the clutch down with the tractor in reverse hit the brake a few times and it fixed the problem. I now am a happy camper,:D:D:D:D I hope this post will help someone else in the future.

/ ford 1920 clutch problem #6  
Glad you got it freed up. Also check the drain in the bottom of the belhousing to make shure its not pluged.
Bill

/ ford 1920 clutch problem #7  
the 1920 came with a lil wedge of wood on a string back in the tool box for blocking the clutch.. see if yours is still there.. if not.. make one.

soundguy

/ ford 1920 clutch problem #8  
Well, I understand the function of the block of would. But how long can it sit before you would need to use it? A day, week, month?

Stuart

/ ford 1920 clutch problem #9  
Well, I understand the function of the block of would. But how long can it sit before you would need to use it? A day, week, month?

Stuart

It actually has more to do with humidity rather than time. When the tractor is being left unused for longer periods of time, weeks vs days, use the block as a preventive. This condition first reared its head a few dacades ago in European seaports - rather humid conditions with salt exacerbating the condition.

/ ford 1920 clutch problem #10  
I've also found that once one sticks once.. it will 'like' to stick more often.

soundguy