Ford 1700 transmission innards.

/ Ford 1700 transmission innards. #1  

JC-jetro

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700
Howdy guys,

Well, this am I went to my so called farm to harvest a few tomatoes and to my disgust and astonishment, the dang deer developed quite a taste for my tomatoes after 4 years. Since I made a trek over there, I decided to go to the barn and satisfy my curiosity with component of my tractor. I snapped a few pics for my files and future reference. I thought 1700 owners might dig it.:D

Transmission cover, by the way to my surprise it was not cast Iron. It was cast aluminum. Cover for the diffy was steel.

dsc08112.jpg

Shifter rods, don't try to take them out from outside. It ain't gonna work.

dsc08114n.jpg

Transmission with cover removed.

dsc08090.jpg

Close up from the top. Red shift boss's are for range, with far left is 3&4, second from left is range 1&2. The grey boss's on the right is gear #1&3, and the left grey boss is 2nd and reverse.

dsc08097.jpg

Range shift fork, rod and sliding gears.. You don't see synchronizer as the transmission is non-syncromesh.

dsc08098.jpg

Gears 1,2,3 and reverse fork and rod with sliding gears.

dsc08099.jpg

Closer look at range sliding gear.

dsc08103.jpg

Detent balls and springs. I had two springs for range shifter 3& 4 and the rest had only one spring. I wondered if that's previous owners handy work. Never take the cover off without removing springs first. They will fall inside and you might have a heck of a time to retrieve them. The balls are secure in their holes and would not come out. The ball dia is only slightly smaller than the hole ID and it is almost impossible to take them from the top even with a strong magnet.

dsc08101.jpg

I looked at all the mechanism and they moved very smoothly and did not even see any sign of the wear on any teeth.

put them all back, went for a short drive. All is well:D

JC,

ps. I'll get even with them deer come fall, I'll have the last laugh:D

/ Ford 1700 transmission innards. #2  
Nice pics JC, the thing does look pretty clean on the inside. So nothing was wrong, you just wanted to see what stuff looked like? Thanks TB

/ Ford 1700 transmission innards.
Nice pics JC, the thing does look pretty clean on the inside. So nothing was wrong, you just wanted to see what stuff looked like? Thanks TB

Nope.Nothing was wrong at all, just curious... I know they say "don't fix if it ain't broken":eek: This is either a habit or sickness since I was a 10 yr old boy.

JC,

/ Ford 1700 transmission innards. #4  
Looks clean enough to eat off of in there. . .well, maybe not.:D

Now, everytime you shift gears you will have a mental picture of what is going on.:)

Oh yes. . . We've had deer starting to take more interest in our garden lately. I'm hoping that the corn feeder and plenty of other stuff to eat will keep them away from most of our tomatoes. They seem to like cantaloupe plants to eat and even have munched on a few okra leaves. Did you have your tomatoes in your cattle panel cages as you did one year before?

/ Ford 1700 transmission innards. #5  
JC, you have way to much spare time. I dont have enough time to take apart the things that need to be taken apart. Was the detent with the double spring for reverse.
Bill

/ Ford 1700 transmission innards. #6  
JC, I don't see any transmission fluid in your pictures. Did you drain it and then replace it or are you running it dry?:rolleyes:

JC, you have way to much spare time. I dont have enough time to take apart the things that need to be taken apart. Was the detent with the double spring for reverse.
Bill

Bill,

Relive me, 4 boys and a wife, coaching two soccer teams, 4 practice sessions during the evenings and games on weekend and being gainfully employed , every hour of my day is spoken for. I figured couple of hrs early Saturday morning to go harvest a bushel tomatoes and had nothing to pick (darn critters:mad::mad:), and every one was asleep at home, It did not take me but one hr to satisfy my curiosity and was back home to even fix breakfast for the boys.

Double spring was actually for the 1s &3rd gear. I have no issues with any of the gears or range manipulation. I think It might have been the previous owner but frankly do not see at all any sign of previous work on the cover or detent mechanism. NH website does not very clearly shows if all the 4 detent mechanism have double spring. My local NH are pretty nice people specially their parts counter. I'll probably give them a call, if all had double spring, I'll probably order the missing ones. The one that I have is stout enough and does positively lock the mechanism without jumping out ever.

Ray,

The lubrication is mainly done by splashing, I was able to see in the rear diffy a paddle like splasher that was mounted on the pto shaft. The oil level is where it needs to be. One thing to note that normal oil level is lower that the input shaft to transmission, so it really reduces the chance oil seepage from a faulty seal unless the seal is really in a bad shape. I can't see if a little extra oil in the transmission can cause any operational issue.

JC,

Ray, you see the reflection off the oil. I say at least half of the gear dia in the bottom is submerged in the hyd oil.

dsc08106.jpg

Looks clean enough to eat off of in there. . .well, maybe not.:D

Now, everytime you shift gears you will have a mental picture of what is going on.:)

Oh yes. . . We've had deer starting to take more interest in our garden lately. I'm hoping that the corn feeder and plenty of other stuff to eat will keep them away from most of our tomatoes. They seem to like cantaloupe plants to eat and even have munched on a few okra leaves. Did you have your tomatoes in your cattle panel cages as you did one year before?

There is plenty out there for them to eat, a neighbor of mine has 30 acres of beans, clover is so thick on my place this year. The darn things either come for salad to my garden or after dinner mint.:D as you know I have been doing this on my place in the last 4 years and have been able to harvest several hundred pounds each year but not this year.

I was just able to take a few cherry tomatoes in between the cattle panels where they could not get a bite. What I was surprised with was that ate almost all the new foliage with tons of flowers on them along with green tomatoes. I was pretty bummed out. They left my red cabbage, banana peppers and butternut squashes alone ..at least for now.

JC,

dsc07650v.jpg

It was like they were trimming a hedge.

dsc07698.jpg

No comments there, they are all on either side of the row:mad:

dsc07697.jpg

how can I see the pictures??? Please

Please tell me what you need so I can upload them again, Image shack (picture hosting site) zapped bunch of my picture after their new policy and they are gone. Posting the right pic to the right thread is tremendously time consuming. I can repost what you like to see.

JC,