07' TC40 starting problem

/ 07' TC40 starting problem #1  

bpnkay

Yesterday after cutting for about 4 hrs., I killed the tractor for about 10 minutes. When i tried to start it again it made a clicking sound - a relay clicked in the start mode and it sounded like the solenoid clicked when I released to the run mode. After repeating several times, the PTO light came on and the starter wouldn't do anything. I checked the fuses(couldn't find but 2) and removed and replaced the relays. I functioned all the levers to check the safety switches and bypassed the seat switch. No luck. I also cleaned the battery terminals. After awhile the PTO light went off and the tractor cranked as normal. Today it cranked normally a few times but then once again refused to crank. After trying a few times I just held the start switch to try to function some levers, after about 5 seconds the PTO light came on again so I switched everything off. After waiting about 10 minutes I heard a relay click and when I tried to crank the PTO light was off but the tractor still would not crank. after trying a few times and the PTO light came on I left the key in the run position and after 10 minutes the PTO light went off and the tractor cranked as normal. Anybody have any ideas?

/ 07' TC40 starting problem #2  
Yes, this is a combination of both starting problems that are common on this model of tractor. The starter solenoid is not engaging the starter motor properly. It's sticking for some reason. As you try to restart, the PTO light comes on because the operator safety system circuit breaker pops. It is a self-resetting thermal circuit breaker, so after awhile, it resets. After you repeat trying to start, the solenoid finally becomes unstuck and makes the starter work.

When the starter acts up on my older tractor, I normally give it a good rap and it starts working again. If my tractor was in warranty, I'd talk to my dealer about a replacement, but that may not be an option with you. It's a frustrating problem when it happens, but thankfully on my tractor and many others, it doesn't happen often. If you search this forum, you will find lots of discussion about this problem.

/ 07' TC40 starting problem
Thanks alot for the reply! It all makes sense now. I had thought it was the solenoid acting up but couldn't figure out why the PTO light was coming on. Guess I'll have to tear into the starter and see if I can fix it. For future reference, is there any way to reset the thermal circuit breaker so one doesn't have to wait 10 minutes to try to restart?

/ 07' TC40 starting problem #4  
My thermal CB resets within a matter of seconds (probably 10 to 15 sec). I don't know the specs of your CB, but if you replace it with another, there is a good chance it will be one that resets much quicker. 10 minutes just seems very excessive to me.

/ 07' TC40 starting problem #5  
It is disturbing to not know for your your tractor will start or just click if you shut it off. I put up with that for some time and then installed the relay mentioned by steveinmd and perhaps others on this site. It has been over a year and it has not failed so far. Seems worth the effort and small expense involved.