Engine quits

/ Engine quits #1  

jube newbe

My jubilee starts and runs for a couple of minutes then quits. When I leave it fuel seeps out of the carb. My guess was stuck float valve needle, so I took the carb apart cleaned it all out with aerosol gum out. The needle valve still seems a little tight and doesnt always drop when the float does. Is there something else I can do to solve this? I also put some gum out fuel additive to the fuel. Still no change..

/ Engine quits #3  
You might need a more thorough carb cleaning. I bought a gallon can of cleaner that has the metal basket included and used that, soaking the carb for hours. It takes a lot of cleaning to get the jets clear. Then I used a can or aerosol cleaner and and air compresser to blow out and flush everything several times.
Also check your gas tank screen in case it's plugged. And remember your tank has a partial shut-off that saves a reserve in the tank, so if the tank doesn't have several inches of gas it could be that.

/ Engine quits #4  
I agree spray can carb cleaner is good for a quick clean.. but if you have sticky floats and all.. go get a gallon dip bucket and a carb kit... no comparison.

soundguy

/ Engine quits #5  
You might need a more thorough carb cleaning. I bought a gallon can of cleaner that has the metal basket included and used that, soaking the carb for hours. It takes a lot of cleaning to get the jets clear. Then I used a can or aerosol cleaner and and air compresser to blow out and flush everything several times.
Also check your gas tank screen in case it's plugged. And remember your tank has a partial shut-off that saves a reserve in the tank, so if the tank doesn't have several inches of gas it could be that.

Where can you buy a gallon of cleaner?

/ Engine quits #6  
tractor supply, napa, car quest, auto zone.. etc.

it's usually a gallon pail with a strainer bucket and a chemical barrier on top of the cleaner.. that way you can dip your parts.

soundguy

/ Engine quits #7  
Where can you buy a gallon of cleaner?

Most autoparts stores. It's called Chem-tech or chem-cleaner. Comes in a metal gallon paint can. THey usually have a basket. Ok Googled it...Berryman Chem-dip. Have to keep the lid tight and add some additional water seal to the top sometimes.

Good stuff, wash it off with water only, its hard on rubber, usually swell rubber to 4 times its size!

0996-LR.jpg

/ Engine quits #8  
The needle valve still seems a little tight and doesnt always drop when the float does. Is there something else I can do to solve this?

Get some fine steel wool and clean the outside of the needle valve. stay away from the tip. If the tip is rubber, then those will sometimes last longer. Then you can fet a q-tip and cleaner and clean out real good the brass sleeve where the needle seats. This should fix it up.

As long as you don't mess up a gasket or o-ring, you can usually get buy on a carb rebuild without a kit. 90% of a kit is various gaskets anyway.

/ Engine quits #10  
Thanks Soundguy, RobJ

I have tried in the past (Nappa-Autozone) to buy something like this --couln't find it ended spraying the can in to a bucket.

Thanks again..