ford 1600- died, know wont start?

/ ford 1600- died, know wont start? #1  

svt

I have a ford 1600, 4wd, loader, 2 cyl. diesel. I was out in the field running the tractor and i had it at idle while i was connecting something to the bucket. I noticed the idle was starting to drop, it did that for about 10 to 15 seconds than died. It sounded like it was running out of fuel. I looked in the tank and there was fuel, but low. So i put about a half tank in it and tried to start it. I have cracked it several times and it will not start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ ford 1600- died, know wont start? #2  
I have a ford 1600, 4wd, loader, 2 cyl. diesel. I was out in the field running the tractor and i had it at idle while i was connecting something to the bucket. I noticed the idle was starting to drop, it did that for about 10 to 15 seconds than died. It sounded like it was running out of fuel. I looked in the tank and there was fuel, but low. So i put about a half tank in it and tried to start it. I have cracked it several times and it will not start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you ran it our of fuel which it sounds like you may have just filling the tank won't work. You need to bleed the injector pump and injectors. There is probably some sort of screw on the pump you open while you crank the engine until fuel flows without air. You then loosen the fuel lines to each injector one at a time while cranking and let a little fuel bleed from each one.

Andy

/ ford 1600- died, know wont start? #3  
Yep.. and in fact.. if it had dirty fuel in the tank.. the tank fuel tap may be plugged.

I'd pull it and clean it.. then bleed as the other poster sugested.

soundguy

/ ford 1600- died, know wont start? #4  
Also, if it has a sediment bowl, I would clean that out as well. Water collecting in the sediment bowl can starve the engine for fuel and cause what you are seeing as well.

- Guy.

/ ford 1600- died, know wont start? #5  
Most likely you just ran out of fuel and need to bleed as AndyMA suggested. To decrease the chance of air in the lines and to make sure fuel is flowing from the tank, loosen the fuel filter retaining ring and let some fuel run out to bleed any trapped air. Tighten the retaining ring while the fuel is flowing to ensure no air is trapped. It's a bit messy, but will ensure you have a fuel supply before bleeding the injector pump and injectors as AndyMA suggested.

/ ford 1600- died, know wont start? #6  
You could also have water in the fuel, but to bleed the system the following instructions are what Ford/NewHolland recommends for running out of fuel. Do not mess with the injector lines as it can add to your problem when bleeding the system.
This works for the 1700 and is all you should have done after running out of fuel. Everything else you did probably only caused more air in the lines. I have run out of fuel twice and used this and only this to restart the tractor with no problems at all:

From my 1700 Owners manual: Bleeding the fuel system. You need to do this for the following reasons:
1) A new filter element has been installed.
2) Tractor has run out of fuel.
3) The lines to or from thew filter have been disconnected.
4) The injection pump has been removed and reinstalled.

To bleed the system: Be sure there is adequate fuel in the tank. Open the fuel shut off valve. Open the (3) air vent screws Figure 33, and let air bubbles escape while cranking the engine. Then close the screws.
Last: Push the hand throttle to the high speed position. Turn the engine over a few seconds to bleed the high pressure fuel lines. My comments, not from manual: (Nothing needs to be loosened for this procedure) Tractor should start with this procedure at high speed throttle.
See picture of figure 33 at this link, scroll down to picture.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/n...-pump-oil.html.

This all you should have done to restart an out of fuel 1700 tractor. If the diagram doesn't show I will repost it. Let me know

/ ford 1600- died, know wont start? #7  
Bleeding vent diagram. (3 air vent screws)

Attachments

• Ford Fuel Bleeding screw vents.jpg
    Ford Fuel Bleeding screw vents.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 4,808
   / ford 1600- died, know wont start? #8  
The 1900 that I have has this pump but the drain and level check orifices are not tapped. My question is how can I ensure that the proper amount of oil is in this pump? I ask because the plate on the left side had some loose screws and some drained out. Thank you