3-Point Hitch Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #1  

Big_Tex

Tractor
64' Ford 4000 Industrial
I have a 68' Ford 4000 3cyl gas Industrial model and the 3pt will not hold in place. If I shutoff the tractor the 3pt will drop in about 30 seconds. I dont show any leaks and have read where this could be the filter or that I may need to pull the Lift Cover and do a rebuild. Before I buy anything I wanted to ask. Any advice is appreciated.

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #2  
Not sure what the filter would have to do with the lift falling. I would try to rebuild the lift piston under the cover. I had a 4000 diesel and put new seals into the piston. The hardest part is lifting the cover off a two man job.

My filter was inside of the rear end housing, I am not sure if you can change it without a lot of work. I don't think I could have changed the filter just by removing the cover. Your industrial model may have a different filter than what I had.

Soundguy knows alot about these tractors, he will be along later and help you more than I can.

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #3  
I'm just learning on the thousand series models myself.. however, the 3pt lift cover hyd systems are at least similar to the older 55+ models that I'm more familiar with.

filter shouldn't effect lift dropping.. cyl condition.. oring on piston condition.. and possible check and relif valves, plus orings and gaskets on the pressurized side of the circuit and unload valve will effect lift dropping with the tractor off.

I'd start with a mirror on a stick and a bright lamp and put a load on the lift and look in thru the fill port and see if there is oil running out the cyl mouth as the lift settles..

If any of this is incorrect I'm sure rickb will correct it.. he's a great source of info.

soundguy

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold
I will do that tonight and post what I find tommorow

I didnt have time to look at it last night but will do so tonight. I wanted to add that when I start the tractor I have to wait around 5 minutes before the 3 point will even lift after that it it seems to work fine other than it wont hold its position and falls once the engine is turned off.

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #6  
When was the last time you changed the fluid and filter?

I was told it was replaced right before I bought it a a few months ago. Everything worked when I test drove it but the engine might have already been warmed up for 5 minutes. I checked the dipstick and it is a little low on fluid but still in the "full" range on the dipstick and looks clean.

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #8  
if it looks clean then you should be OK with that. I'll leave it to the more technically able to help you. Good luck.

I used the mirror but did not see any extra fluid coming from the cylinder. I had a box blade on there and it will always hold at the top it will not hold if i try and put it any lower than the top is slowly falls. any other ideas?

/ Ford 4000 3 Point Wont Hold #10  
did you try dropping the blade so it was lower than the top, and thus dropping while you were looking?.. might have a bad spot in the cyl that is ok near the end.

soundguy