4x4 and diff lock

/ 4x4 and diff lock #1  

browndog

got my 1910 4x4 stuck in the manure pile today. With the 4x4 engaged the right front and left rear wheels were digging holes....engaging the diff lock did nothing....is this supposed to be how it works?? is something broken?...
does the tractor need to be in 2wd for the diff lock??? thanks

/ 4x4 and diff lock #2  
Nope, browndog, that ain't the way it's supposed to work. In fact, I almost never use the differential lock unless I get stuck in 4WD. When you engage the differential lock (whether in 2WD or 4WD) both back wheels should turn together (in 4WD, of course, that means you're turning both rear and at least one front). In your case, the differential lock did not engage. I don't know whether you have something broken, or out of adjustment, or what. If you try to engage it while a rear wheel is spinning wildly, you can certainly break something, but sometimes when you step on the pedal to engage it, the gears are not lined up exactly right and one wheel does have to turn just a little bit before it engages.

Bird

/ 4x4 and diff lock #3  
Another thing that may be obvious (or not) is that the differential lock doesn't stay engaged when you remove your foot from the pedal. Also, as Bird said, it doesn't usually engage when you first put your foot on the pedal - you have to hold it down until both wheels start turning in unison and don't release it until you're unstuck or have dug holes deep enough to bury the tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ 4x4 and diff lock #4  
I should have mentioned about holding the pedal down, which of course, is necessary on the tractors most of us are using; however, a neighbor with big 2WD John Deeres says on them you don't have to hold it down; the differential lock stays engaged until it is manually released.

Bird

/ 4x4 and diff lock #5  
>>however, a neighbor with big 2WD John Deeres says on them you don't have to hold it down; the differential lock stays engaged until it is manually released.<<

Must be nice to have a Deere!

Doesn't work that way on the TC30... you're locked only as long as the pedal is held down...

I haven't got much level ground and use the tractor for snow removal too... so I'm pretty used to locking the big wheels and attempting to get out before I pull out the Jimmy and a tow strap<G>

More often than not it does get back on track and keeps going...<G>

/ 4x4 and diff lock #6  
Sometimes you can just apply the brake for the rear wheel that's free spinning and it will drive power to the other wheel.