Oil & Fuel 3600 ford diesel fuel filter oh no

/ 3600 ford diesel fuel filter oh no #1  

georgia plow boy

Bronze Member
I just bought a ford 3600 diesel a few days ago, the fuel filter looked like it hasn't been changed in a while, I asked the owner about it ,he said he hadn't changed in a while, and told me how, any way I changed it, put new one back on , took out plug waited for fuel to come out,I put plug back in and it ran a little bit and cut off, I tried to start it back and it wouldn't start,I didn't try much ,this is the first diesel Ive owned so dont know any thing about them, but what I think is I probably got air in the line, just a guess, My question is how do I get my tractor back running, any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

/ 3600 ford diesel fuel filter oh no
Thank god for older farmers and older ford tractors, Just an up date, and it might help some folks ,with the same problem I had, I was going to church to eat, we always have a meal on wednesday night before service, was working on tractor changing filters up to time to get ready, I posted just before I left, Any way, I was asking around at meal time and thisolder gentleman, ask you still have that old 801 of your fathers I said yes, is it running he ask ,yes I said,after we eat lets run to your house and have a look at that diesel with the air bubble he said,any way we went home after we ate, he got on the 801 told me to hook a chain on the 3600 and put it in 8th gear I did ,He pulled me for about 20 feet and the 3600 fired right up , and we went back to Church, cool uh

/ 3600 ford diesel fuel filter oh no #3  
Good story. Sure made that ol' boy feel good to help out a young un, eh.

/ 3600 ford diesel fuel filter oh no #4  
some systems like to be bled a bit more than others... some like to be bled all the way to the injectors, depending on how much fuel you lost.

that pull starting is a great aid for a stubborn machine so you don't heat the starter up.

soundguy

/ 3600 ford diesel fuel filter oh no #5  
I like the story also. Even the meal at Church. :)

If when you replace the next filter will fill it as full as you can with fuel it and when you fire up do so with some throttle it may hit an air pocket but do so and keep running. Works for me on my oranges machines.

One of the last times I change fuel filter did just that. Ran fine and then cut off. Bleed it, pull it walked off from it. Found the cut off valve was not fully opening as it had slipped past a set screw. Cost was only a few cents for the part.

/ 3600 ford diesel fuel filter oh no #6  
(Edit- I missed the above story for some reason- glad you got 'er running. In case it happens again I'll leave the rest of my post up...)
-----------
Did you get your problem solved yet? I had this exact issue with my 5600. Aquired it used, and had no idea how long since the filter was changed, drain plug was leaking etc. I changed the filter and plug which was no big deal but NO START no matter what bleeding of the filter housing I did. Here's what I did to fix it:

Bleed to the filter housing, and the injector pump (not a big deal as I recall, I think I just loosened the fittings and let it drain progressively closer)

Located all the injector ports, then loosened them all.

Cranked the engine for a while (a few revolutions) to get fuel all the way to the injectors.

Then tightened a couple all the way down (the most wet appearing), cranked again and it tried to start on a couple of cylinders, running rough. Then I tightened all the injectors and it began to run smooth and normal. No problems since. The injectors on my engine are pretty easy to get to, maybe they are on yours as well. Good luck!

/ 3600 ford diesel fuel filter oh no #7  
Just a hint on diesel injectors . They are coated outside AND inside . If you loosen the injectors to crank and purge don't pull the lines any farther back than it needs to go . If you pull them too far the coating inside might crack and sent particles into the fuel flow . Bigger patricles can clog an injector .