TC 45D Rear Differential Rebuild

/ TC 45D Rear Differential Rebuild #1  

skinnr

Bronze Member
Ok so I am new user and I started a thread on rebuilding my rear differential but I started it in general service section. I think this might be a better place since its blue. I bought this tractor broken for a reasonable price and I am about to start the differential swap out and I am looking for advice, such as tricks, tools and problems I mught encouter. I seems straight forward but I am still wonderig if a $500 service shop manual is worth the price. Hear are a few pics of what I am getting into.

Attachments

• 100_0905.JPG
    100_0905.JPG
    813.2 KB · Views: 493
  • 100_0913.jpg
    100_0913.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 795
   / TC 45D Rear Differential Rebuild #2  
I would do a search on ebay and get a service manual. I think they are worth there weight in gold when doing any repair. Any idea on how the case got broke. I would put a dial indicator on the shaft and make sure it is strait.
Bill

/ TC 45D Rear Differential Rebuild
The story I got about the broken case was that it was from the backhoe that was mounted and/ or the oversized turf tires. My only though on this is a torsional twist of some sort that caused the web to break. I would not think that a frame mounted backhoe could do this but since I have never mounted the backhoe I am not sure where the force is applied. Good thought on checking the shaft and I will be sure to do that. I would hate to find out the hard way.

Thanks for the link that is the best price so far. I think I will get one to be safe. Another member is going to send me the pages for the trans. case rebuild but I might need the manual down the raod. Thanks to Djaustin for offering to copy and send the pages. The local dealer said it was most likely caused from a PTO shaft that was tool long on an impliment causing the bearing to be forced against the case.

OK here is the update. Sorry it took so long but I have been deep in tractor land. So the transmission swap has been completed. Not a super hard task but you just have to keep all your ducks in a row or you will pull your hair out. The "new" case is from a tractor that was being parted out. The rebuild was easy since gears and bearings on go in one way most of the time. The actual rebuild only took a few hours. The tear down and renounting took about a half day. The most difficult part is that there are so many little parts and pieces missing and since I did not start this project I am left to finish it and buying a lot of nuts and bolts and misc. parts. My dealer has been great and the local tractor wrecking yard knows my name. Here are some pics where I am at now. Cheers. I just hope it runs after all this.

Attachments

• Long Beach 006.jpg
    Long Beach 006.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 468
  • Long Beach 007.jpg
    Long Beach 007.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 408
  • Long Beach 010.jpg
    Long Beach 010.jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 806
  • Long Beach 015.jpg
    Long Beach 015.jpg
    823 KB · Views: 404
   / TC 45D Rear Differential Rebuild #7  
Nice work, a daunting task to some. I'm glad you're making good progress, it will be very rewarding when it all comes together and you have a great working tractor!

/ TC 45D Rear Differential Rebuild #8  
It's fun looking at the innards of what I've previously only seen in diagrams. Thanks for the photos. Good luck with your "race to the finish line.":)

Well 90% of the tractor is back together and I thought I would try to fire it up. Good idea but now I have become an electrician. So I have power but it won't even try to turn over. Must be a safety switch or some sort of interlock. I will add more pics and keep eveyone updated.

/ TC 45D Rear Differential Rebuild #10  
If it won't turn over, it must be the PTO engaged switch or Range switch not in neutral. You can jumper around both those switches, but I wouldn't advise that. If it turns over and will not start, it's probably the operator safety switch and can be bypassed by setting the parking brake. You can always force the engine to turn over by using a jumper to the starter solenoid, but that can be dangerous too. It's best to become an electrician and trace the circuits so you know for sure what is wrong.