TRANSMISSION

/ TRANSMISSION #1  

mark_adams001

Hi there i bought a T 1520 tractor (same as the TC30 but has 5 more hp) this year with a FEL. This is the first tractor i have ever owned. had couple of questions for it. It has 9x3 non synchorized transmission.

1) Shifting----for example when you are in 2nd gear and in medium range, can you press the cluth and put it in low range without shifting everthing into neutral ( without putting the 2nd gear into neutral) or does everthing have to be in neutral when you change from low to medium or high range?

2) oil, hydrolic level. Where shoudl the oil level be on the oil dipstick? (inbetween the top and bottom hole on the dipstick?)

3) shifting---when you are in 2nd gear medium range and you press the cluth to go into 3rd gear should it make minor grinding noise or should the gears go in smoothly?

thx im new at this tractor stuff and these mught be stupid questions so thanks for you time guys.

/ TRANSMISSION #2  
As long as you stop you should be okay shifting into any gear with range or speed transmission.
Your oil level should be inbetween the two holes.

/ TRANSMISSION #3  
welcome to TBN Mark; Lots of knowledge (and some bs haha) here. Not wanting to hijack your thread but I also have a 1520 which is a sweet tractor. 57 hrs in about a year. took it in for 50 hour service , which a bunch of guys said I didn't need to because I could do it my self. Anyway had a little drip mark where it is parked in the garage. Had them check it while it was in there. Today it is in 3 pieces. Turns out an inner seal in the transmission was leaking. Thank goodness for warranty. BTW it is a hydrostat transmission. I miss the tractor these past two weekends. All the stuff my wife wants done usually "needs' the tractor. anyway i am glad i took it in for the 50 hr service, otherwise I would probably never known it until too late.

/ TRANSMISSION #4  
welcome to TBN Mark; Lots of knowledge (and some bs haha) here. Not wanting to hijack your thread but I also have a 1520 which is a sweet tractor. 57 hrs in about a year. took it in for 50 hour service , which a bunch of guys said I didn't need to because I could do it my self. Anyway had a little drip mark where it is parked in the garage. Had them check it while it was in there. Today it is in 3 pieces. Turns out an inner seal in the transmission was leaking. Thank goodness for warranty. BTW it is a hydrostat transmission. I miss the tractor these past two weekends. All the stuff my wife wants done usually "needs' the tractor. anyway i am glad i took it in for the 50 hr service, otherwise I would probably never known it until too late.

Yes, another good example of why it is a good idea to have the tractor serviced by the dealer while under warranty!;)

/ TRANSMISSION #5  
Yes, another good example of why it is a good idea to have the tractor serviced by the dealer while under warranty!;)

Especially one that is piddling on your garage floor.:rolleyes::D

I agree that the 50-hr service on most tractors can be done by the owner, but that is the perfect time to get any issues corrected under warranty. In my case, I had a new radiator and some hydraulic lines replaced because my battery spewed acid all over them. If you are confident that your tractor has no issues, you can do the job, but if you have any question or feel too inexperienced, a dealer done 50-hr service is a very good thing. It's a good way to meet the service manager and evaluate the service department too.

/ TRANSMISSION #6  
Follow up on my 50 hour service. Transmission fixed under warranty. replacement of all filters and fluids cost me a total of $295. I thought it was high but considering the transmission issue I thought it was reasonable. Funny thing though, the HST filter was not replaced under warranty because it had 50 hrs and needed replaced anyway. Oh well, she is running again and I need to catch up on seat time.:D

/ TRANSMISSION #7  
3) shifting---when you are in 2nd gear medium range and you press the cluth to go into 3rd gear should it make minor grinding noise or should the gears go in smoothly?

I didn't see any anwers for this question - Most likely, your scrunching is because you are not giving the gearbox enough time as you shift. Other than that, check your clutch free travel adjustment to be sure the clutch is getting completely disengaged.

Congrats on your new tractor!

Dave.

/ TRANSMISSION #8  
Follow up on my 50 hour service. Transmission fixed under warranty. replacement of all filters and fluids cost me a total of $295. I thought it was high but considering the transmission issue I thought it was reasonable. Funny thing though, the HST filter was not replaced under warranty because it had 50 hrs and needed replaced anyway. Oh well, she is running again and I need to catch up on seat time.:D

I'm glad your transmission's incontinence is cured.:) I agree that the cost seems a little high and suspect that they also charged you for new transmission fluid in addition to the HST filter. Your paying for the filter is something I'd expect because it is required at this service interval. However, if you paid for new transmission fluid as well, then I think you have a complaint. The transmission fluid is not normally changed at 50 hours. It's changed at 300 hours. If splitting your tractor to fix the transmission caused the fluid to be changed, then it should have been covered under warranty.

/ TRANSMISSION #9  
Well, now I'm confused (not unusual). The original post mentioned a 9X3 non-synchronized transmission and shifting with a clutch.

Then an HST filter pops up. I thought he meant the hydraulic filter ?

Dave.

/ TRANSMISSION #10  
Well, now I'm confused (not unusual). The original post mentioned a 9X3 non-synchronized transmission and shifting with a clutch.

Then an HST filter pops up. I thought he meant the hydraulic filter ?

Dave.

Two different posters. The posts by impdaddy are also about a 1520 as a comment about the reliability of 1520s. His is an HST and has been in for service. I'd say it was a bit of an unintentional hijack.