ford 1700 clutch problem

/ ford 1700 clutch problem #1  
I'm an enthusiastic novice.
I have just bought an old neglected ford 1700. The clutch slips and the tractor only travels in low range first or reverse. It will shift into the other gears but wont move particularly if I raise the revs. the clutch, I assume it's the clutch, emits a high pitched howling noise.

I would appreciate any advice

/ ford 1700 clutch problem #2  
Yea, the clutch does sound suspect. Have not had to change the clutch in my 1700, but maybe one of the other 1700 owners can chime in. Hey JC, have you split your 1700 yet? I searced the forum and found a post and pictures courtesy of jones6780 of his disassembly. He can probably give you some advice. Here is a couple of pictures he posted (thanks jones for the quality pictures) of the clutch assembly and bell housing. Good Luck TB

Attachments

• tractor%20003.jpg
    tractor%20003.jpg
    603.6 KB · Views: 2,262
  • tractor%20007.jpg
    tractor%20007.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 1,098
   / ford 1700 clutch problem #3  
Hey TB,

I have not split my 1700 yet. Jones certainly had great pics. It certainly sounds like clutch disk surface thinning out way out out of specs causing the slippage. The good thing is this can easily be checked by removing the hand hole ( inspection hole) or whatever factory calls it on the side of clutch housing. I have been overseas in the last two weeks and need to get in to grooves of things at home and at work so I can't spill my guts at this moment. To the original poster, I have some input about the subject matter in several post. You might want to check (search) the forum with a great search utility it has for Ford 1700. If you have additional questions then ask it and be rest assured you get many good advise by the good folks here. Splitting a smallish Ford 1700 should not be a major issue if you have a flat concrete floor, hoisting ability, tools and mechanical aptitude to do it. I know I will have to do it in the next 5 years or so and I'll be doing myself.

JC,

/ ford 1700 clutch problem #4  
have ya tried to adjust it yet?

soundguy

/ ford 1700 clutch problem #5  
Here is a picture looking in the inspection port with a scale to measure the clutch thickness. It measures 5/16" thick for a new clutch. If you have free travel at the top of the petal travel, the petal is not causing the throwout bearing to engage, then there is no adjustment that will correct the slippage.

Russell

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 708
   / ford 1700 clutch problem #6  
To original poster,

Dittto on what Russell had to say. in addition to it if you take the inspection hole cover off you can see if throw out bearing is touching the 3 fingers of the pressure plate or not. if you are not riding the fingers then for sure yu are slipping. the squeal at times can be a dry bearing making noise due to occasional or constant rotation (ie, riding the fingers of pressure plate).

Russell, great to see you back:)

JC,

dsc07962.jpg

/ ford 1700 clutch problem #7  
Hey I just got on this site because I am in the process of replacing the clutch in my 1700! I gotta say, I have written a 1/2 page of information that I'm gonna get done in the process! JC- you are a plethora of info!

I have the tractor split in half and am in the process now of getting the parts. Clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing (aka release bearing) and pilot bearing. I am also going to get a plastic spline device to line up the clutch.

Does anyone know any tricks of getting the pilot bearing out? A mechanic friend told me to fill it with grease and tap a non-threaded bolt into the hole. The grease pressure will push out the bearing. Anyone have any success with that?

Also, anybody done this job on the 1700? I need to have a reference in case I get in over my head in the coming week! LOL.

I have plenty of pics and will post them soon!

/ ford 1700 clutch problem #8  
You are going to laugh but I have had better luck with wet toliet paper than grease.Find a punch or somthing the same size as the hole in the bearing.Pack the hole in the bearing with the wet paper, insert your driver and hit it with a hammer. refill the hole with wet paper and do it again. repeat untill the bearing comes out.
Bill

/ ford 1700 clutch problem #9  
Sweet, I'll give that a try! Thanks

/ ford 1700 clutch problem #10  
Sweet, I'll give that a try! Thanks

Good suggestions so far. Although I have not than that on my 1700 you might find the bearing not particularly very tight as they grease it up some before installation. As a result it has a good grease film to keep the rusting at bay. You might make a puller out of an piece of flat thin metal with a bend to jar it some. A small needle nose vise grip might grab the inner dia some if force the jaw open to grab the inner bearing race and then pull back. It'll hopefully will be easier than you think. if you can take good pics and share.

JC,