Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V?

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V? #1  

scrubs620

I have a Ford 900 series (not sure of the exact model). It is currently not running but I would like to get it that way. There is not a battery in the tractor at the moment. Did the 900 series come standard with a 6 volt or a 12 volt system? Were they positively or negatively grounded? and how do I tell if someone has already upgraded to a 12 volt system if that was not original? thanks for any help you can give me.

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V? #2  
If it has an alternator (which would be a non-stock conversion), it most likely is 12V negative ground. If it is gasoline powered, it was factory equipped with a generator, and was 6V positive ground. If it actually happens to be a 901 series with a diesel engine, it was factory equipped with a 12V negative ground system.

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V?
Rick thanks for the info. Might be a stupid question but how do you tell an alternator from a generator? I havent looked at it for a while but I assume i would be able to tell how it is grounded by the where the battery cables go. If it is positively grounded does that mean its a 6 volt system?

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V? #4  
Rick thanks for the info. Might be a stupid question but how do you tell an alternator from a generator? I havent looked at it for a while but I assume i would be able to tell how it is grounded by the where the battery cables go. If it is positively grounded does that mean its a 6 volt system?

Generators length is usually 2-3 times it diameter. Alternators have diameters that are 2-3 times as big as it's length. Front of generator/alternator is the belt pulley. If you can find the alternator on your car it will be simular in size and shape.

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V? #5  
ditto what rick said.

here's a lil help.. here's a pic of a genny and an alt.. the genny pic is actually for a 2n.. but you will get the idea.. it a long barrel.. the alt is aluminum and short and fatter.

soundguy

top one is a genny..

Attachments

• 2ngen.jpg
    2ngen.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 172
  • alt.jpg
    alt.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 390
   / Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V?
I appreciate the help guys, that makes it a lot clearer. Hopefully I can get it running soon.

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V? #7  
If it's a 6 volt system and your not converting to 12v, do yourself a favor and buy a 8 volt battery for it. You'll also need a 8 volt battery tender. WDO

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V? #8  
BAD ADVICE WARNING.. BAD ADVICE WARNING

NOOOO do not use a darn bad bandaid of an 8v setup.. it's not doing anybody a favor

for one... it's extra current thru the points and lamps.. plus.. the vreg is setup to charge at a lil over 7v... that's not what the 8v battery needs.. thus you'd have to get the vreg tweaked to charge at a lil over 9v to recharge that battery... getting hard to find anyone in business knowing the lost art of mechanical vreg tweaking.

stay 6v or jump whole hog to 12v... you can get coil / resistor combinations for 12v.. as well as 12v lamps as off the shelf parts... 8v makes for alot of foot work for an owner.. finding right resistor to protect points.. and as for the lamps.. just live with reduced lifespan...

most reputable tractor shops I know won't do any work on an 8v system other than remove it and rest to 6v.. or swap up to 12v... for the reasons I mentioned above.

hit a common store and try to find a consumer grade 8v battery charger / booster. ( good luck! )

soundguy

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V? #9  
Let's see..... I have owned 2 ford 600 series tractors. One has had a 8 volt battery in it since 1979. It is used daily for chores. The other has had an 8 volt setup since I bought it in 1996. I've had the gen. rebuilt once since 1979. And replaced replaced a couple of bulbs in 30 years of use. I guess the 8 volt setups just ruin EVERYTHING. BTW the golf course down the road runs the same setup in 4 6 volt fords. Seems to work for them as well.

/ Ford 900 - 6V vs 12V? #10  
Don't mess with the gen and voltage regs. Just let the battery tender bring it up to the cap of the 8 volt battery. The tender will make your batteries last a LONG time as well. I just checked one of my ford bats and it is over 7 years old. Not a bad idea to convert to Alt and 12 volts but it's not cheap.