Oil & Fuel Ford 1600 Oil Pressure

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #11  
It is not NPT. it is fine thread metric, it eyballs 10 mm but i'm not suer

JC,

Actually it is 1/8 NPT on my 1700. I had a similar situation in that during mowing (2500RPM) the light would flick on. Wanting to install a pressure gage, I need to know the thread for the adaptor. FYI Japanese auto makers tap shallower on NPT's which makes the threads tighter than most people are used to.

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #12  
Actually it is 1/8 NPT on my 1700. I had a similar situation in that during mowing (2500RPM) the light would flick on. Wanting to install a pressure gage, I need to know the thread for the adaptor. FYI Japanese auto makers tap shallower on NPT's which makes the threads tighter than most people are used to.

Good to know, thanks:) I think I'm going to get a tee and a pressure gage to install on my next oil change. I wished they had an extra tap for engine oil pressure somewhere else on the block as well. I'm concerned with a tee since the sending unit will be more susceptible to damage being 1" to 2" away from the engine block in the open.

JC,

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #13  
use a threaded nipple into the block, and then a 3 way female-female-female union.. the one facing the block to the nipple.. then one side as the sender.. then one side as the gauge.. the sideways 3-way union shouldn't stick out more than 1/4" or so further than the oem sender. you can rig a buzzer parallel to the oil lamp so that a buzzer sounds if the line or 't' breaks.. or some other attention drawing device like a blinking lamp to affix to the dash.. etc. just have to put up with it for a couple seconds when starting the tractor.. etc.

soundguy

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #14  
use a threaded nipple into the block, and then a 3 way female-female-female union.. the one facing the block to the nipple.. then one side as the sender.. then one side as the gauge.. the sideways 3-way union shouldn't stick out more than 1/4" or so further than the oem sender. you can rig a buzzer parallel to the oil lamp so that a buzzer sounds if the line or 't' breaks.. or some other attention drawing device like a blinking lamp to affix to the dash.. etc. just have to put up with it for a couple seconds when starting the tractor.. etc.

soundguy

Thanks Chris,

Sounds good, I'll put on my list of things to do. Funny that you mentioned buzzer, I had one of those " light bulb coming on" on my head moment about extra safety. I used the sender to switch off or on the horn for oil pressure annunciation when the engine was running if and when I had flow issue, thinking the sound of horn will give me proof positive of problem when the tractor was running and I was not on the seat. The nuisance horn sounding during pre heat drove me crazy so I put a switch in line to activate the circuit after engine was running. While I was busy on my R/D (research and development:rolleyes::rolleyes:) managed to get turned around and completely shorted out my sending device:(:( Ouch a $23 mistake, so I bought another sending device and scrubbed my hair brain idea, lol:eek::eek:
buzzer is probably better than using my horn.. You never know .. might want to do it again.

JC,

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure
Thanks Soundguy, that is the info I was looking for. At least I have a reference from which to work from now.

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #16  
the horn / bypass switch is a decent idea.. just use a momentary push button as a bypass and release once op is up.. just use a relay to drive the horn so the sender isn't providing ground for anything but a lamp inthe dash and the low current field coil for the relay.. vs the horn wich might actually have a decent current draw.

your bypass idea would be akin to a murphy switchgauge.. it's gauge designed to kill the ignition if OP drops.. and there is a bypass button to hold it latched in while starting. only works on ignitions needing power.. like a gasser.. or key-off solenoid type.. etc..

soundguy

Thanks Chris,

Sounds good, I'll put on my list of things to do. Funny that you mentioned buzzer, I had one of those " light bulb coming on" on my head moment about extra safety. I used the sender to switch off or on the horn for oil pressure annunciation when the engine was running if and when I had flow issue, thinking the sound of horn will give me proof positive of problem when the tractor was running and I was not on the seat. The nuisance horn sounding during pre heat drove me crazy so I put a switch in line to activate the circuit after engine was running. While I was busy on my R/D (research and development:rolleyes::rolleyes:) managed to get turned around and completely shorted out my sending device:(:( Ouch a $23 mistake, so I bought another sending device and scrubbed my hair brain idea, lol:eek::eek:
buzzer is probably better than using my horn.. You never know .. might want to do it again.

JC,

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #17  
I did uses a SPDT 12 volt automotive relay to protect the sender for all the reasons you gave but still managed to short out my sending unit.:eek::eek: Your momentary switch is even a better idea, can use my right hand to pre-glow and my left hand to shut the buzzer/horn off... good thinking:)

JC,

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #18  
could also use an old floor dimmer switch and mount it to your left running board.. click on, then off.

soundguy

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure
Does the 1600 have an internal oil pump or is it some sort of splash type unit? Trying to figure out how the oil is circulated through the engine.

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #20  
this isn't a lawnmower engine.. it's a diesel tractor engine...

splash lube wouldn't have an oil pressure sender / dash lamp...

here's a diagram of the oil pump from the new holland parts site.

I havn't personally seen the ford service manual.. but some manuals show oil circulation routes.

soundguy

Attachments

• oilpump1600.gif
    oilpump1600.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,075