Oil & Fuel Ford 1600 Oil Pressure

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure
Thanks Soundguy, you have answerd my question. If my problem is not a bad oil pressure switch then that would leave the oil pump and it looks like it would be a major teardown to repair. It just may be more $ than I am willing to invest. Maybe it will be time for a newer used tractor if the switch doesn't resolve my problem.

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #22  
wrenching threshold varies by individual.. but just like all things mechanical.. it was put together and can be taken apart.. your choice on getting another tractor vs reapir of the old one.

soundguy

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure
Problem solved. New switch and gauge installed....idiot light is now out and I am running 35psi.

Thanks for the help.

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #24  
good to hear.

soundguy

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #25  
Sweet, any picture of your installation?

JC,

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #26  
Problem solved. New switch and gauge installed....idiot light is now out and I am running 35psi.

Thanks for the help.

For future thought- don't rule out a defective oil filter as a possible cause of an idiot light. I once had a brand new oil filter go bad before several years ago- and the bypass get blocked by some internal cardboard. In that case, the oil pressure light came on within an hour of putting on a new filter (cheap chinese knockoff of a U.S. filter, it turned out). I torn it apart and found the blockage before anything bad happened- but it also is something to think about when you get an unexpected idiot light.

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #27  
that's why having a mechanical gauge to see what's really going on can be very important.

soundguy

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #28  
that's why having a mechanical gauge to see what's really going on can be very important.

soundguy

Chris,

I picked up a analog pressure gage (sun pro from Autoshack), Rummaged thru old fitting bins at the guy's shop. I found 1/8 NTP , male-female, male tee, an elbow, short nipple and assortment of different brass fitting. Could not find Union tee:eek:. any how no matter what I tried I could not turn the fitting around to make good and tight connection. The connection to the block is just way too close to clutch housing, a bolt right in the bad spot, and tee also interferes with the dip stick. i have not given up yet, I think union tee should work. ended up putting the sending unit back.

JC,

dsc08168p.jpg

dsc08169u.jpg

/ Ford 1600 Oil Pressure #29  
you might have to use a shallow right angle adapter.. then come straight of fthat with a 1/8 short pipe thread to thread.. then the T just past the dipstick.. leave it all tucke din close tot he block.. will likely stick out 'less' than the oem sender.

That or get creative and use a grease fitting hose.. you can get them in lengths of 4" to 1+'.. they have male 1/8 npt on both sides.. should be fine for petrochemicals..a nd usually are good to 4000psi.. then you can put the 'T' wherever.. :)

soundguy