Ford 1910

/ Ford 1910 #1  

Texas Blues

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey 1655 Ford 1700 2cyl, Ford 1600 2cyl Massey 135 3cyl gas
Trying to score a 1910 from a guy here locally. Going to look at it saturday. They disassembled the front of the motor (3cyl diesel) to get the injector pump off and havent put it back together yet. He says it ran good before that. The guy is asking 1000 for it. Says he has all the parts. Am interested in it because I think it shares some parts with the 1700, (which I have) it also has a factory roll bar on it. Even if the pump is bad, and it has low hours on it, it still sounds like a good deal. Anyone own one of these, or has had to buy an injector pump for one? I know my 1700 is a good machine, I can only assume the 1910 is just as good of a tractor. Any thoughts? Thanks, TB

/ Ford 1910 #2  
so he just took the timing gear cover off to remove the injector gear and consequently the pump? is that right. I once called local NH and they were telling me the injector pump itself might run in to $1000 :(:( itself. I know the roll bar if it fits your 1700 at least worth $500-700. If you can trust the guy it may not be a bad tractor project. Soundguy had one and I know he regrets getting rid off of it and never heard any bad commentary on it. Why did the original owner think that he had injector pump problem? Is his statement corroborated by any fact? does the guy know how to properly bleed the pump?
I'll cautiously pursue it and post a few pic if you can. I'd ask him detailed question and may be there is just nothing wrong with anything and he just does not know how to bleed the fuel system.

You might have a "diamond in the rough" :)or a "lemon" with your name on it:(

JC,

/ Ford 1910
Thanks JC, yea I plan to ask him plenty of questions on saturday. He was on the road when I called him (on his way to see his cousin that got in a wreck), so I didnt want to badger him too much lol. He didnt say why they thought the pump was bad, nor any information about what diagnostic steps they took beforehand. I think he mentioned that it was his neighboors tractor, and he was not the original owner, and obtained it from the neighbor recently. He said he still had all the parts, and I will make sure of that, and look at the pump and make sure it is all there. Your right, I may be able to put it back together and make my own diagnosis and get lucky. But the spare parts them selves would still be worth that I would think. I'll look at the hour meter, rims, tires ect, and look for leaks. He did mention that the tires werent great. Heres a couple of pics froma distance. You can clearly see the front of the motor is apart. Fan is off, radiator is out ect. The mechanic work is nothing to me, so Im not scared (now the money, thats a different story) lol Thanks, TB

Attachments

• DOZER%20008.jpg
    DOZER%20008.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3,452
  • DOZER%20009.jpg
    DOZER%20009.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 4,717
   / Ford 1910 #4  
Looking at the pics it looks like everything on the front of the engine was removed.I see the hyd. pump is missing and none of the pipes are pluged. The tractor looks like it has lived a rough life. How long has it been sitting out side apart and uncovered. I wouldn't pay any more than what you think the parts you can use are worth.
Bill

/ Ford 1910
Thanks Hooked, dont know those answers yet. Will be going to look at it in about an hour. Your right though, if its been sitting out in the weather with the motor and pipes uncovered, there might be water in it. I'll be cautious for sure. He did tell me he has all the parts that were removed, so thats a plus I guess. Will let you know how it looks close up later. Thanks TB

/ Ford 1910 #6  
I'm just wondering why one would venture out on fuel pump replacement right in the open without any protection from the weather and element. If the tractor died in the field, I'd say he could have just towed it away. I might dump a little oil out of it to see if there is any tell tale sign of trouble.

JC,

/ Ford 1910
Went and looked at it this morning. And as usual, its in worse shape than the pictures reveal. I doesnt look like there was water in the motor oil or the tranny. I found out what really caused them to pull the injector pump off. The motor started running wide open, so apparently the pump was pumping, just not being regulated. The pump has something loose inside, you can hear it rolling around in there when you shake the pump. The parts in fact are all there, but theres more rust there too than I like which tells me it sat outside a long time. The guy told me it had been sitting in his neighbors yard/pasture for at least 6 or 8 months with the parts off of it, had some kind of cover over it. But still, I think it was longer than that. Too long for my liking. Will try the "take less money" approach and see what he says. Oh and the hour meter has got to be wrong at 285 hrs. The seller didnt know if the hour meter was working to begin with. I believe the seller to be honest and is giving me as accurate information that he can, as he was not the original owner and had recently got it from his neighbor. Will think about it for awhile and decide if its worth fooling with. I have been trying to determine if the roll bar is the same as a 1700, the picture in the parts manual on the new holland website looks the same for the 1910 and 1700 roll bar, with slight variations in the part numbers, but those drawings may just be common drawings they use to display the image. Like an idiot I forgot to take my camera with me. Thanks, TB

/ Ford 1910 #8  
Have you checked on how much a ROPS is from NH. I looked on Messicks but it said order through wholegoods. I dont have a clue what that means, but it sounds like it is available.
Bill

/ Ford 1910 #9  
Looking at the pictures you posted, the tires and rims look pretty new. Maybe the hour meter is correct, if so you may be getting a "cherry" if the fix-it problem is not too costly.

/ Ford 1910 #10  
Went and looked at it this morning. And as usual, its in worse shape than the pictures reveal. I doesnt look like there was water in the motor oil or the tranny. I found out what really caused them to pull the injector pump off. The motor started running wide open, so apparently the pump was pumping, just not being regulated. The pump has something loose inside, you can hear it rolling around in there when you shake the pump. The parts in fact are all there, but theres more rust there too than I like which tells me it sat outside a long time. The guy told me it had been sitting in his neighbors yard/pasture for at least 6 or 8 months with the parts off of it, had some kind of cover over it. But still, I think it was longer than that. Too long for my liking. Will try the "take less money" approach and see what he says. Oh and the hour meter has got to be wrong at 285 hrs. The seller didnt know if the hour meter was working to begin with. I believe the seller to be honest and is giving me as accurate information that he can, as he was not the original owner and had recently got it from his neighbor. Will think about it for awhile and decide if its worth fooling with. I have been trying to determine if the roll bar is the same as a 1700, the picture in the parts manual on the new holland website looks the same for the 1910 and 1700 roll bar, with slight variations in the part numbers, but those drawings may just be common drawings they use to display the image. Like an idiot I forgot to take my camera with me. Thanks, TB

I would bring some tools and loosen the injectors to reduce the compression and make sure that the motor turns over. If it's stuck, you don't want that expensive rebuild job.