TC45 Alternator Wiring Help

/ TC45 Alternator Wiring Help #1  

skinnr

Bronze Member
Still working on my TC45 project. (see other threads) I am now on to the alternator. Whoever had it before me cut the wires right off the alternator instead of unplugging the wires and unbolting. I think they were canabalizing this tractor. Anyway this leaves me the problem of what wires go where. I have an exact NH replacement alternator. It has one post, one single blade plug and one two blade plug with opposing blades. I have 5 wires. RED, Black, and then 3 smaller ones. Looking at the wiring diagram is not much help. Any help and/ or pictures would be great. Thanks

/ TC45 Alternator Wiring Help
Here is a pic of the alternator.

Attachments

• Long Beach 019.jpg
    Long Beach 019.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 2,968
   / TC45 Alternator Wiring Help #3  
According to the schematic, the large (8 ga) red wire goes to the main post on the alternator as shown as the shiny plated post in your photo. The black wire is just crimped into a terminal lug and bolted to the body of the Alternator (ground). The smaller orange and brown wires go to the 2-lug connector (C4). That connector should have one lug marked "L" and one marked "R". The brown wire goes to the "L" connector and runs the alternator light on the dash panel. The "R" lug is the regulator input to the alternator and comes from Fuse #1. The connector with the single lug should be connected to the pink wire and it runs the tachometer.

If you cannot find a label for the R and L lugs in the connector, I'll look at my tractor and take a picture, but I think you should be good to go with the info above.

Thanks jinman that is great. I just returned from my dealer and coppied a few pages rom the repair books. I think the only trouble might be like you said finding what on is L and what one R. The connector has been cut off and is missing so I am working on gettinig a connector or just some crimp on ones for now. One of the blades is horizontal and one is verticle on the connector. If you know which is L and R I will be set. Thanks again.

/ TC45 Alternator Wiring Help #5  
Skinnr, the problem is that my tractor's alternator has a different configuration in its L & R connector. It has a connector with the lock tab at the top and then the red wire and black wire below the tab in a line. Yours has the two lugs side-by-side. :confused: Are you sure that alternator is a direct replacement for the original?

CORRECTION!

The way the connector looks when it is connected is confusing. You DO have the right connector. In your photo, the vertical lug on the left is connected to the orange wire and is the R connection. The brown wire is connected to the lug on the right and is the L connection. See photo.

I had to disconnect my plug to see that I had looked at it wrong before. Sorry...

Attachments

• Alt-TC45D-1.jpg
    Alt-TC45D-1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 5,885
Last edited:
Thanks jinman for all your help. The beast might just come alive tomorrow and blow some blue smoke. Wish me luck and I will keep everyone posted.

Jinman you were correct as usual. I wired it up just like you said and just used some crimp on connectors inplace of the harness and fancy NH connector and it worked. Its running and I am all smiles. Check out my other post about the complete rebuild for the full story. Thanks again.