1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods

/ 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #1  

WhiteFox

Tractor
1953 Ford Golden Jubliee NAA
I have a 53 NAA on the right side, (distributor side), the radious rod has been badly rusted due to leaking battery acid. The rod is noticably thinner all the way around the rod, where it passes under the battery tray. I estimate less then 1/32" is gone but all the way round the rod. This tractor sat idle in my back field for about 12 years, but this fall I got it running, (needed a new condenser). Its got great oil pressure,, and seems to have pretty good power considering that it is 56 years old.

My question is, how thick are the walls of the radious rod? It appears to be welded to solit d ends at front and rear of rod, but the rod sounds hollow. There is a tremedous amout of stress placed on the rod, especially when turning, and I dont fancy using it, and havnig that rod let go, and my front end colapsing..

I will supply some pictures when I get them taken.

/ 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #2  
I don't know how thick the rod is, but I would recommend that you reinforce it. If you do not have welding equipment, you should be able to remove the rod and take it to a welding shop.

I grew up with one of these tractors. I used to sit on the fender as my Grandfather plowed until I was old enough to drive it my self and do the plowing for him. I sold it in 2004 when I bought the Case DX45. Sadly, I did not have enough room to keep the old tractor. I still have the two bottom plow, 6' disk and 5' brush hog. I have attached a picture of the area you are taking about from my tractor.

Attachments

• RadiusRod.jpg
    RadiusRod.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 571
   / 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #3  
My NAA has a busted radius rod exactly where yours is thinning. It's been sitting for several years with a big screwdriver as a splint. I think you will be much better off to have that rod reinforced and welded before it breaks so that your dimensions are maintained perfectly. I'd bet a welding shop could do a very nice job and you'd never have to worry about it again. Good luck!

Stonehaller: In looking at your picture, it seems your seat spring has been broken and rewelded. My spring broke on my NAA and a welder was able to fix it for me and not effect the spring steel. His fix has lasted well, and I'm no tiny guy.:)

/ 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #4  
Jinman - That is not weld on the seat spring - just some mud. One of the three point hitch arms was broken and weld by a guy that work for my grandfather years ago. I was surprised I never re-broke it.

/ 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #5  
If it was mine.. I'd lay some rod down on it then grind.. if you can't weld.. IMHO.. buy a good salvage one.. probably as cheap, and in the end better than having one built up at a shop.

I like to get parts from a fellow named John Smith.. he's a fair man.. and has good used parts. I probably have a used part from him on each one of my tractors.

By the way.. the rad rods are pretty much just there to keep the front axle stabilized side to side, and allow for keeping that stabilization as you change the radius.. IE widen or shortent he front. if you are experiencing extreme stress on your rad rods.. then yuor kingpin and bushing needs to be replaced. hub, spindles, steering draglinks and sector gears should untimately see more 'force' during turns than the rad rods..

soundguy

Ford tractor front axle and steering parts For Sale

Straight radius rod for NAA-600-800 tractors.
$65 - free shipping (48 states)

Attachments

• 8nradiusrod.jpg
    8nradiusrod.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 290
   / 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #6  
I agree with these guys. Get it fixed. My co-worker has a 8N that this happened to, similar part. Anyway it got really bad and it along with the entire steering system had to be rebuilt. Cost him $$$$. Spend the $65 on the used one and have it put on. You can then have the other one welded up for a spare.

Chris

/ 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #7  
ditto that.. get the goo dused one.. probably take all of 10 minutes to mount.. then repair the old one at your leisure on the bench.. grind to fint, paint, and stand in the corner till needed.

soundguy

/ 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods
If it was mine.. I'd lay some rod down on it then grind.. if you can't weld.. IMHO.. buy a good salvage one.. probably as cheap, and in the end better than having one built up at a shop.

I like to get parts from a fellow named John Smith.. he's a fair man.. and has good used parts. I probably have a used part from him on each one of my tractors.

Thanks for the comments,, Nice forum you folks have here. I want to have that front end as strong as possible as I will be pushing snow with a 3 point attached 5' blade this winter, and I don't want to have to work onn the tractor this winter if I can avoid it.. I have no garage for it..

I have sent an email to the guy you suggested already, and hoppe to get a reply soon.

On my tractor someone painted it ford blue some years ago, but some of that is chipping off showing the origional colors, but pait is going to have to wait until warmer weather.

Be well all

/ 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #9  
John smith is an honest guy.. I've never once had a bad deal with him.. in fact. I usually bet more than I expect. 99% of the time.

soundguy

/ 1953 Naa Jubilee radious rods #10  
[QUOTE
On my tractor someone painted it ford blue some years ago, but some of that is chipping off showing the origional colors, but pait is going to have to wait until warmer weather.

Be well all

That blue paint must have been a 80's thing. My 861 was painted also in Ford Blue.

Chris