Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems #1  

san isidro

This a transition tractor from Ford to New Holland. both stickers are on the tractor. I believe it is a 1996 or 1997 year model. 90 horsepower, 4 WD, cab and air: Protects me from Africanized Bees. I live in South Texas, only a few miles from where the first death from a bee attack occurred in late 1980's. The dream tractor, except i have transmission problems. The service people in may area are clueless and want to go on a Mechanic Safari to find the problem. Of course, I pay the expense of the safari and replacement of parts that may or not be necessary. They said it could cost up to $9000 hard earned dollars. Whoaa boys! This requires a Huddle with the coach. Which Coach and Where is he.

This electro/hydralic transmission, 16x16, made by Fiat and used in Massey, Case and I believe J.D.

I purchased the service manual and parts catalog. There are all types diagnostics in the service manual, but the service people here did not have the book. Brother, i got the bill for the preliminary excursion and was very disappointed.$600 for labor plus $200 for the parts and the transmission still does not work. I pointed out to the service people an old service bulletin about the transmission to replace a gasket on the transmission control valve cover. Sure enough the gasket was blown and one of the selinoid valves was shorted out. the beast still has the same problem.

The transmission does not work in the odd gears in either high and low range. The pto does not work. After reading the 1200 page service manual, it must have something to do with the "c-4 clutch", which is the only clutch of the 4 in the tractor, which the odd gears and pto have in common. I think it is an adjustment problem. by the way, this tractor does not have the traditional clutch as I knew. It has 4 "clutch packs". I guess this what you get when you want a dream tractor

Has anyone had this type of problem? Who knows this transmission South of San Antonio, Texas. I need a repair person that knows this electronic transmission. I am open for suggestions.

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems #2  
This is a Ford transmission; Fiat had nothing to do with it. C-4 clutch does not have anything to do with the PTO except that ALL clutchpacks, C-1 through C-4, the PTO clutch and MFD clutch all are operated by regulated circuit pressure, or low pressure oil. Of the 1200 pages you claim in the service manual, about 100 pertain to the 16x16 transmission, be sure you are reading the section that covers the version of the transmission you have. Early units have no dump valve switch on the Forward/Reverse lever, the new style does. There is no need for a 'safari' into the bowels of your transmission. A fairly thorough electrical diagnosis can be performed with the help of the service manual and one simple diagnostic tool. Several pressure gauges can be installed in various test ports to determine what pressures are maintained during various combinations of clutch application. From what you post, I predict two separate problems, one related to the PTOand one related to C-4. But I'm a long ways away, and may have missed something.

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems
Rick B thank you for clearing more mis-information. I was told that the transmission was made by Fiat. Yes, I have been through the appropriote section for the 16x16 transmission. What I learned yesterday, there is man that was the service manager at a case new holland agency, which has experience with this transmission. I spoke with him, he stated to bring the tractor and the service manual i purchased. He said that he would perform the diagnostic testing before proceeding.

Hopefully, he can find a simple solution. The testing and fault section relates to the testing procedures. Without the book, diagnostic would be impossible.

I am not technically endowed nor do I have a mechanical aptitude nor patients. I am envious of those so inclined and grant credit.

Running the tractor in an even gear, I was surprised when in applied both brakes that the engine did not load up. The tractor stopped, but the engine sound did not change. On a conventional transmission, would this indicate the clutch was gone or slipping?

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems #4  
Running the tractor in an even gear, I was surprised when in applied both brakes that the engine did not load up. The tractor stopped, but the engine sound did not change. On a conventional transmission, would this indicate the clutch was gone or slipping?

It indicates to me that you have a regulated circuit problem that is affecting ALL speeds of the powershift AND the PTO. And probably the MFD clutch and differential lock as well, thought you don't know it yet. How long the tractor hs been run in this condition will determine how extensive the damage is to all four transmission clutchpacks and the PTO clutch. Prepare yourself, the $9000 estimate is a possible worst case scenario at typical prevailing shop rates. Or the cause of the symptoms could be simple and (relatively) inexpensive, leaving no permanent damage to the transmission.

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems
i cannot tell you how long the tractor was driven in this shape. i purchased the unit at an auction. this was a time that i should have not held up my hand. There was a little monkey business and i fell into the trap. shame on me.

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems #7  
Or the cause of the symptoms could be simple and (relatively) inexpensive, leaving no permanent damage to the transmission.

my started having about the same thing but one told it either the hyd pump or the pto clutch pack.My is jumping out of gear and will only run in 2nd low and the pto stop working. Well one the pump is $4900 and repair kit is like $600.00 but my local mech. which works on NH will not touch the pump to repair he say too many parts.any ideal thanks

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems #8  
my started having about the same thing but one told it either the hyd pump or the pto clutch pack.My is jumping out of gear and will only run in 2nd low and the pto stop working. Well one the pump is $4900 and repair kit is like $600.00 but my local mech. which works on NH will not touch the pump to repair he say too many parts.any ideal thanks

I'll tell you three things for certain. If any of the levers are jumping into neutral it isn't a pump problem, it's a cable or synchronizer problem. And if it drives in 2nd gear but not others, it isn't a pump problem. If your local guy is troubleshooting this transmission without the factory service manual, you are wasting your money.

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems #9  
No what the problem is we are mowing about hour and ahalf away from our town and the local mech is only trying to fix it over the phone.we have change all 3 filter each month for the last 3 month with the pto and hyd coming back but now none are responding. Each time we get old pieces of what we think was the old sylnizer? which was change just before we bought it.My operator say it moves but jumps out of gears and now the pto will not work. just hate to buy 4900 pump trying to check the pto culch pack out first.Thanks

/ Ford SLE 16x16 transmission problems #10  
just hate to buy 4900 pump trying to check the pto culch pack out first.Thanks

Then don't. Buying a $4900 pump without systematic troubleshooting and pressure testing is foolish and most likely a complete waste of money. Anyone advising you to do so isn't qualified to perform the repair. Read this again; IF THE SHIFTERS ARE MOVING TO NEUTRAL ON THEIR OWN IT ISN'T A PUMP PROBLEM. If you don't find someone that can obtain and comprehend the info in a repair manual, you may spend more in repairs than the tractor is worth without actually repairing it.