1962 Ford 4000 air in hydraulics?

/ 1962 Ford 4000 air in hydraulics? #1  

swilk

Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
I am going to look at a 1962 Ford 4000 tomorrow ..... I have come to the conclusion I cannot afford the tractor I "want" right now so I am looking to buy something to get me by a few years.

Anyway, the guy tells me the hydraulics work great unless you let the tractor sit for a long period of time (months) and then you have to "loosen a screw and some air will come out ... then they work fine again".

This sound like a common problem with these tractors? Easily fixed? Enough reason to walk away from the tractor?

here is the ad:

Ford 4000 1962, Rebuilt motor, decent paint, 60% rubber, 47hp, rare tractor, live power, runs great, looks good, with bush hog no power steering $2000.

/ 1962 Ford 4000 air in hydraulics? #2  
The Ford four cylinder 4000 is nearly identical to the slightly earlier 8x1 series aside from paint and minor sheet metal changes. These are very good tractors, highly regarded by many, though not rare as stated in the ad.

The ad does not mention which transmission is in the subject tractor. Most desireable by most is the five speed. Note: if the tractor has the four speed transmission it CANNOT have live PTO. If it has the five speed it PROBABLY does have live PTO. If it has the 10 speed Select-O-Speed power shifting transmission, it has independent PTO.

The hydraulic symptom described is caused either by failed (failing) O-rings at either (probably front) end of the hydraulic manifold or, more likely a failed ppump shaft seal. Either can be readily and inexpensively repaired if you are mechanically handy but you will likely pay through the nose if you farm out the job to someone unfamiliar with the tractor and issue.

Amoung others, I have a 64 4000 with Select-O-Speed transmission, power steering, dual remotes and front and rear weights, and love it. I also have a 55 860 (earlier version of the 4 cylinder 4000) with five speed, live PTO, dual remotes, front and rear weights, and love it as well.

SDT

/ 1962 Ford 4000 air in hydraulics? #3  
I should have mentioned in my earlier post that, barring serious ovbious or hidden defects, $2000 for the tractor described even without the bush hog is a steal.

SDT

/ 1962 Ford 4000 air in hydraulics?
Looks like someone else will have to worry about fixing whatever problems it may have.

The post went on CL at 7:00 yesterday evening ... I spoke to the man at 7:15 and was walking out the door at 7:00 this morning to make the 4 hour drive to look/buy it. It sold at 6:30 this morning.

Oh well ... keep looking.

/ 1962 Ford 4000 air in hydraulics? #5  
As I said, it was a steal.

Dean